The report was accepted; and Levi Farwell, Luther S. Cushing, and William Parmenter were appointed as a committee to report a suitable location, prepare plans, and report estimates for a town-house.
At the next town meeting, April 4, 1831, the committee recommended that the town-house be erected at the northeasterly corner of the Almshouse lot,
At the corner of Harvard and Norfolk streets, where the Catholic Church now stands. and presented a plan of an edifice, drawn by Asher Benjamin, and estimated to cost $2,505. The town accepted the report, elected a building committee, consisting of John Chamberlin, Luther S. Cushing, and William Parmenter, and authorized the Treasurer to pay the bills therefor, not exceeding the sum of $3,000. Subsequently an additional appropriation of $1,300 was made.
The total expense, including $296.09 for furniture and $145.13 for fencing the lot, was $4,351.19. In asking for estimates, the building committee inserted this specification: