town during the four years of the war for State aid to soldiers' families, and afterwards reimbursed by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, 00; in 1862, $416.60; in 1863, $998.40; in 1864, $1,018.81; in 1865, $891.66. Total in four years, $3,325.47.
Incorporated Feb. 13, 1760.
Population in 1860, 1,079; in 1865, 928.
Valuation in 1860, $452,030; in 1865, $587,619.
The selectmen in 1861 were Milo Talmadge, Edmund Crippen, Milan Brown; in 1862, Benjamin Baldwin, Calvin Benjamin, Samuel B. Goodale; in 1863, Samuel B. Goodale, George C. Benjamin, Seymour B. Dewey; in 1864 and 1865, Seymour B. Dewey, James H. Rowley, Joshua R. Layton, Jr.
The town-clerk and town-treasurer during all of these years was Joseph A. Benjamin.
1861. The first meeting, to act upon matters relating to the war, was held on the 30th of May; at which it was voted to instruct the treasurer to borrow one thousand dollars for aid and assistance to the families of the inhabitants of the