Your search returned 39 results in 14 document sections:

1 2
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 36: operations of the South Atlantic Squadron under Rear-Admiral Dahlgren, 1863.--operations in Charleston harbor, etc. (search)
tringent measures of retaliation. Up to this time the threat to shell the city has not been executed. There seems to be a discrepancy between these two bulletins about General Gillmore shelling the city. Charleston, Friday, August 23d. To-day the land batteries opened from south to north, and the Monitors from east to west, coming close up; the fire was very damaging. The east wall was crushed and breached, and the shot swept through the fort. A shell burst, wounding Lieutenant Boylston, Colonel Rhett and three other officers. The fort (Sumter) is now in ruins. Colonel Rhett is ordered to hold this outpost, even as a forlorn hope, until relieved or taken. Colonel Gaillard was killed. General Gillmore sent a communication at 11 o'clock, giving notice that at 11 o'clock to-morrow he would open fire again on Charleston. Charleston, August 24th. The enemy's fire on Sumter slackened to-day. The fleet has not participated. At 12 o'clock last night t
William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 2, Chapter 15: Worcester County. (search)
, Six hundred and twenty-five dollars were granted for recruits furnished in place of drafted men. August 15th, The sum of one hundred and twenty-five dollars was fixed as the bounty to be paid by the town to each volunteer enlisting to the credit of the town. 1865. March 6th, One thousand dollars were voted for aid to families of volunteers. June 5th, Three thousand three hundred and seventy-two dollars were voted to reimburse citizens who had advanced money for recruiting purposes. Boylston furnished eighty men for the war, which was a surplus of one over all demands made upon it, one of whom was a commissioned officer. The whole amount of money expended by the town for war purposes, exclusive of State aid, was ten thousand six hundred and fifty-seven dollars ($10,657). The amount of money paid by the town for State aid during the war to soldiers' families, and repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $316.05; in 1862, $1,456.26; in 1863, $2,130.40; in 1864, $1
mherst 331 Andover 175 Arlington (see West Cambridge) 467 Ashburnham 603 Ashby 369 Ashfield 254 Ashland 371 Athol 604 Attleborough 118 Auburn 606 B. Barnstable 27 Barre 607 Becket 65 Bedford 372 Belchertown 332 Bellingham 482 Belmont 373 Berkley 122 Berlin 609 Bernardston 256 Beverly 177 Billerica 375 Blackstone 611 Blandford 296 Bolton 613 Boston 582 Boxborough 377 Boxford 180 Boylston 616 Bradford 182 Braintree 483 Brewster 31 Bridgewater 538 Brighton 378 Brimfield 298 Brookfield 616 Brookline 485 Buckland 267 Burlington 381 C. Cambridge 382 Canton 490 Carlisle 391 Carver 540 Charlestown 393 Charlemont 259 Charlton 618 Chatham 33 Chelmsford 399 Chelsea 591 Cheshire 66 Chester 299 Chesterfield 334 Chicopee 300 Chilmark 164 Clarksburg 68 Clinton 619 Cohasset 4
May, 1634; then at the New Town until May, 1636; then at Boston, and back again at the New Town from April, 1637, till September, 1638; and always thereafter at Boston, until the stormy days that ushered in the Revolution. The original New Town—or what we might perhaps call Oldest Cambridge—was comprised between Harvard Square and the river, from Holyoke Street on the east to Brattle Square on the west. By 1635, the streets now called Mount Auburn, Winthrop, South, Holyoke, Dunster, and Boylston had come into existence within these limits. The northern frontier street, upon the site of Harvard Street and Harvard Square, was called Braintree Street. A road upon the site of the lower end of Brattle Street with Brattle Square was known as Creek Lane, and it was continued in a southeasterly sweep into Boylston Street by Marsh Lane, afterwards called Eliot Street. On the north side of Braintree Street, opposite Dunster, and thence eastward about as far as opposite the site of Linden,
but nineteen institutions of the kind in the State. The original incorporators were William J. Whipple, William Hilliard, and Levi Farwell, and at a meeting of these gentlemen held in Mr. Hilliard's office on the southerly side of Brighton (now Boylston) Street, October 27, 1834, their number was increased to nine by electing Eliab W. Metcalf, Abel Willard, William Watriss, William Brown, John B. Dana, and Charles C. Little. At a meeting held November 17, 1834, at the Charles River Bank, fortyle of Cambridge that the accommodations furnished by the Cambridge Railway were insufficient; this culminated in the incorporation of the Charles River Railroad in 1881. Tracks were laid by this company from Harvard Square through Brighton (now Boylston), Mount Auburn streets, Putnam Avenue, and Green Street to Central Square, Main, Columbia, and Hampshire streets to the junction of the tracks of the Cambridge Railway on Broadway, the latter company having refused them the right to make connect
commanding, regiments from 1 to 20 inclusive. Second division, Brig. and Brevet Maj.-Gen. Charles J. Paine commanding, regiments from 21 to 40 inclusive. Third division, Col. and Brevet Brig.-Gen. William S. Tilton commanding, regiments from 41 to 61 inclusive. Route of march: From the Common to Tremont Street, to Hanover, to Blackstone, to Clinton, to Commercial, to State, to Washington, to Essex, to Harrison Avenue, to Dover, to Washington, to Union Park, to Tremont, to Pleasant, to Boylston, to Arlington, to Beacon, to the Common. On the return of the column to the front of the State House the colors will be delivered to His Excellency Governor Andrew by Major-General Couch and Col. F. N. Clarke. By command of Major-General Couch. Edward W. Hinks, Chief of Staff. On the day appointed the flags of the regiments were first formally handed over by Brevet Col. Francis N. Clarke, United States mustering officer, in whose custody they had been deposited. The procession
in wall of building on Marshall street, Apr. 13, 1836 Boylston, Zebdiel, introduced kine-pox inoculation, May 21, 1721 Boylston, John made a present to the town; will proved, June 12, 1795 Branded a man for selling a gun to an In avenue and Beach street, kept by J. S. Bradbury, 1860 Boylston, 38 School street, kept by H. L. Hanscom, 1834 Brunswion, Jan., 1875 Kine-pox inoculation introduced by Dr. Boylston, May 21, 1721 Kissing a fineable offence in Bosto8, 1858 Quincy, completed and opened, Aug. 26, 1826 Boylston, corner-stone laid, May 23, 1809 Blackstone street, co about 1660 Near Milk, removed, Aug., 1862 Head, on Boylston, cor. Tremont, built about 1763 Removed, standing, to Rebuilt, 1848 Bowditch, South street, built, 1862 Boylston, Fort Hill, built, 1819 Rebuilt, 1853 Brimmer, Commmany inhabitants, 1702 Inoculation with kine-pox, by Dr. Boylston, May, 1721 Red flags denote its presence, May, 1751
, 1812, 1823, 1844, 1872, Chambers street, 1732 Pierce's alley, 1708; Change alley, 1788; Fitch's alley, 1796; Flag alley, 1828, Change avenue, 1841 Berry street, 1708; Barrack lane, 1768; Berry street, 1803, Channing street, 1846 From School street, south; Cook's court, 1733, Chapman place, 1841 Chardon lane, 1743; Ivers street, 1859; extended to Merrimae, 1860, Chardon street, 1821 In place of Charlestown Ferryway, 1631, Charles Riv. bridge, 1785 Beacon to Cambridge, to Boylston, 1809, extended north, 1841, 1859, 1866, Charles street, 1805 Union to Causeway, Haymarket square to Causeway, 1840, Charlestown street, 1807 From North street to Copp's Hill, Hanover to Commercial, 1803, Charter street, 1708 Merchants' row to Commercial street, Butler's row, in part, 1789, Chatham street, 1825 Chauncy place. Bedford place, Rowe street, Chauncy place, 1809, Chauncy street, 1856 A part of Boston, called Rumney Marsh previous, Chelsea Town, 1738 Winnissimmet
Bilboes, 13 Births, 13 Blackstone, William 14 Blaine, James G 14 Black Maria, 14 Blockade, 15 Booth, Junius Brutus 15 Booth, John Wilkes 15 Boston, 15 Board of Trade, 16 Bonaparte, Jerome 16 Boston Stone, 16 Boylston, Zebdiel 16 Boylston, John 16 Branded, 16 Bread, 16 Bristol Bill, 17 Brigham, Peter Bent 17 Bridges, 17-19 British Soldiers, 19 Brown, John 20 Brownlow, Gov 20 Bruce, Sir Robt 20 Bulfinch, Charles 20 Bunker Boylston, John 16 Branded, 16 Bread, 16 Bristol Bill, 17 Brigham, Peter Bent 17 Bridges, 17-19 British Soldiers, 19 Brown, John 20 Brownlow, Gov 20 Bruce, Sir Robt 20 Bulfinch, Charles 20 Bunker Hill Monument, 20 Burnside, Gen 20 Burrill, Charles 20 Burroughs, Stephen 20 Burgoyne, John 20 Burns, Nellie 20 Burial Grounds, 20 Butler, Gen. B. F. 21 C. Cages for Criminals, 22 Cahill, Thomas 22 California, 22 Canadian Rebellion, 22 Canals, 22 Can-Can, 22 Carriages, Supt. of 22 Cards and Dice, 22 Cards, Hand 22 Carr, Sir Robert 23 Carnival of Authors, 23 Carson, Kit 23 Cass, Lewis, Gen 23 Cathedral, Catholic 23 Cavalry, 23 Ce
Rev. James K. Ewer , Company 3, Third Mass. Cav., Roster of the Third Massachusetts Cavalry Regiment in the war for the Union, Company L. (search)
1865. Henry O. Lund Corp. Nashua, N. H., 21, s; machinist. Oct. 23, 1861. Disch. disa. April 3, 1862. James miller, Corp. Boston, 33, s; soldier. Nov. 9, 1861. Disch. for promotion, March, 1863. Capt. Co. D, 76th Regt. U. S.C. T. Resigned Aug. 9, 1864. George Miner, Corp. en. Boston. Cr. Stoneham, 20; shoemaker. Dec. 30, 1864. M. O. Sept. 28, 1865. Joseph Oak, Corp. West Amesbury, 32, m; carriage-maker. Nov. 19, 1861. Disch. disa. Dec. 5, 1862. Benjamin W. Parker, Corp. Boylston, 32; farmer. Dec. 31, 1864. M. O. Sept. 28, 1865. James O. Patrick, Corp. Lawrence, 28; machinist. Dec. 31, 1864. M. O. Sept. 28, 1865. George Piper, Corp. en. New Orleans, La. 35. June 1, 1862. Disch. May 1, 1865. Unof. Quinton R. Read, Corp. Stoneham, 22, s; shoemaker. Dec. 6, 1861. Disch. disa. Jan. 18, 1864. Sub. serv. Marcus M. Robinson, Corp. en. Boston, Cr. Dorchester, 26, laborer. Jan. 2, 1865. M. O. Sept. 28, 1865. James Summers, Corp. Princeton, N. J. Cr.
1 2