hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865 43 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Browsing named entities in Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865. You can also browse the collection for Watson W. Bridge or search for Watson W. Bridge in all documents.

Your search returned 22 results in 12 document sections:

1 2
ev. Mr. Kelly, Wesley Furlong, and Dr. Bayne. A collation at A. Taylor and Company's followed. Temporarily the recruits took the name of Morgan Guards, in recognition of kindnesses from S. Griffiths Morgan. At camp the New Bedford men,—some seventy-five in number,—with others from that place and elsewhere, became Company C, the representative Massachusetts company. Only one other commissioned officer is known to the writer as having performed effective recruiting service. This is Watson W. Bridge, who had been first sergeant, Company D, Thirty-seventh Massachusetts Infantry. His headquarters were at Springfield, and he worked in Western Massachusettts and Connecticut. When ordered to camp, about April 1, he had recruited some seventy men. Much the larger number of recruits were obtained through the organization and by the means which will now be described. About February 15, Governor Andrew appointed a committee to superintend the raising of recruits for the colored regim
d by March 15; Company D was then formed; Company C came to camp from New Bedford on March 10. These four companies were mustered into the United States service on March 30. Lieutenant Partridge on March 28 was assigned to begin Company E; Lieutenant Bridge, reporting from recruiting service, was placed in command of Company F, just forming; Lieutenant Smith, on April 10, was chosen to organize Company G. As recruits came in during April at the rate of one hundred per week, these three companut., Thomas L. Appleton. Company C. 1st Lieut., James W. Grace. 2d Lieut., Benjamin F. Dexter. Company D. Capt., Edward L. Jones. 1st Lieut., R. H. L. Jewett. Company E. Capt., Luis F. Emilio. 2d Lieut., David Reid. Company F. Capt., Watson W. Bridge. 2d Lieut., Alexander Johnston. Company G. 1st Lieut., Orin E. Smith. 2d Lieut., James A. Pratt. Company H. Capt., Cabot J. Russel. 2d Lieut., Willard Howard. Company I. Capt., George Pope. 1st Lieut., Francis L. Higginson.
, with the receipt, about noon, of orders to move at an hour's notice, taking only blankets and rations. Three hours after, the regiment began to embark, headquarters with seven companies finding transportation on the steamer Chasseur, the remaining ones on the steamer Cossack, with Colonel Montgomery and staff. Lieutenant Littlefield, with a guard of one hundred men, was detailed to remain at St. Helena in charge of the camp. Assistant-Surgeon Bridgham also remained with the sick. Captain Bridge and Lieutenant Walton were unable to go on account of illness. A start was made late in the afternoon in a thunder-storm, the Cossack stopping at Hilton Head to take on Captain Emilio and a detail of ninety men there. The following night was made miserable by wet clothes, a scarcity of water, and the crowded condition of the small steamers. About 1 A. M. on the 9th, the transports arrived off Stono Inlet; the bar was crossed at noon; and anchors were cast off Folly Island. The inle
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 7: bombardment of Charleston. (search)
military secretary of Governor Andrew, and also one of the regiment's early and tried friends. There had been several promotions in consequence of the action of July 18. Lieutenant Smith was made captain of Company G, but was still North; Lieutenant Walton, captain of Company B, vice Willard, resigned. Second Lieutenants T. L. Appleton, Tucker, Howard, Pratt, and Littlefield were made first lieutenants. These officers were all present except Lieutenant Pratt, who never re-joined. Captain Bridge and Lieutenant Emerson had returned from sick leave. Lieutenants E. G. Tomlinson and Charles G. Chipman, appointed to the regiment, had joined. A number of the wounded had returned from hospital, and the first lot of furloughed men came back, and with them Capt. J. W. M. Appleton. By these accessions the Fifty-fourth had more officers and men present toward the last of October than at any time after it left St. Helena Island. Our new and old works being in readiness at Cumming's Po
ooper, Acting Adjutant Howard; Company I, Lieutenant Homans; Company G, Lieut. David Reid; Company C, Lieutenant Tomlinson, commanding, and Lieutenant Bridgham; Company K, Lieutenant Littlefield, commanding, and Lieutenant Leonard; Company F, Captain Bridge; Company H, Lieutenant Chipman; Company B, Lieutenant Newell; Company D, Lieutenant Duren. Assistant-Surgeons Bridgham and Pease, and Quartermaster Ritchie, were on the field. Sergeant Wilkins, of Company D, bore the national flag in the ranficer, noticing the exposed position of the two pieces, sprang in front of his line, and shouting, Now is a good opportunity; we'll try and take those guns! led his men forward; but he was soon ordered back into line. In the centre, where Captain Bridge was prominent, our companies were enduring an increased musketry fire from front and flank. Sharpshooters were observed perched in the trees, but a few volleys brought them down. We were sustaining casualties every moment; but most of the m
somewhat damaged our works at Cumming's Point toward the close of May. Further changes of station occurred for some of our companies, as, on the 18th, Captain Emilio, with Company E, relieved Company H at Fort Green, and the succeeding day Captain Bridge, with Company F, took post at Battery Purviance. Company H returned to Black Island, where Captain Homans was in command; and the garrison there was increased toward the last of May by a portion of Company F, under Lieutenant Edmands. Then the Eighteenth Corps to South Carolina. Throughout the Civil War he suffered from a wound received in Mexico. As Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper was detailed for courtmartial duty and Captain Emilio as judge-advocate at Hilton Head, on May 29, Captain Bridge took command of Lighthouse Inlet and Capt. T. L. Appleton of Fort Green. During the ensuing night some of our officers perpetrated a great joke on the Johnnies. Making the stuffed figure of a soldier, they took it out in a boat and stood it
anding, and Lieutenant Chas. Jewett, Jr.; Company A, Lieutenant Knowles; Company E, Captain Emilio and Lieutenants Chipman and Cousens; Company B, Lieutenant Newell, commanding, and Lieutenant Hallett; Company G, Lieut. David Reid; Company F, Captain Bridge and Lieutenant Duren. Sergt. Chas. A. Lenox, of Company A, bore the national flag, and Corp. Jos. Stiles, of Company F, the State color, in the ranks of Company E. There were 363 enlisted men present. Quartermaster Ritchie was also on the isted several guns of the Marion Artillery on a hill supported by infantry, and on the 6th shelled Hatch's lines. All the day-hours of the 6th the Fifty-fourth was resting in bivouac. At 8 P. M., a picket of four officers and 132 men under Captain Bridge went out in front of the right. The weather was more comfortable. It was very apparent that the enemy was stronger. The succeeding day, on the lines, only an occasional shell from the enemy disturbed the quietness. A mail came in the afte
ever returned. Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper, Adjutant Howard, Quartermaster Ritchie, and Captains Emilio and Tucker received leave of absence for short periods. Lieutenant Swails was furloughed to prosecute his claims for muster in the North. Captain Bridge was in command of the regiment during Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper's absence; and Lieut. David Reid acted as quartermaster while Lieutenant Ritchie was away. Thanksgiving Day, November 24, Colonel Hallowell assembled the regiment and conduct Orders were received on the 24th for the Fifty-fourth to be prepared for moving at short notice. When the departure took place, Colonel Hallowell remained in command of Morris Island with Captain Walton and Lieutenant Duren on his staff. Captain Bridge with Company F at Battery Purviance, Lieutenant Newell with Company B at Fort Green, and Lieutenant Edmands with part of Company F at Black Island remained at their posts. Companies C and I at Black Island were relieved by two companies of t
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 14: Charleston and Savannah. (search)
truction of the city. Major Hennessy was despatched to the arsenal, and Lieutenant-Colonel Bennett with the remainder of his force, which had been increased by the arrival of some of the Third Rhode Island Artillery, moved to the Citadel. Guards were soon sent to public buildings, storehouses, and important points, and the abandoned fire apparatus, manned by negroes, firemen, and soldiers, was put into use, checking the fires. Captain Walton and Lieutenant Newell with Company B, and Captain Bridge with Company F, on the 18th, proceeding from Morris Island in rowboats, reached Charleston after the advance troops under Lieutenant-Colonel Bennett. Being the first considerable body of colored soldiers to arrive, their march through the streets was a continual welcome from crowds of their people of both sexes. Upon reaching the Citadel, officers and men were placed on provost duty. Lieutenant Edmands and his Fifty-fourth men at Black Island, with the Fifty-second Pennsylvania compan
ggs, Acting Adjutant Whitney, and Acting Quartermaster Bridgham; Company F, Captain Bridge; Company C, Lieutenant Spear; Company B, Lieutenant Hallett; Company H, Capover ploughed fields bordering the wood of the swamp, with Company F, under Captain Bridge, skirmishing. From contrabands it was learned that the swamp was impassablt that point temporarily, and the major hastened to rejoin the regiment. Captain Bridge pushed forward his skirmishers through the wood bordering the road until threek; but as the stream made a bend there, they met on the enemy's bank. Captain Bridge's skirmishers, moving rapidly over the road, came to the ruined bridge. Thand Privates Harding, Postley, and Sylvia, all of Company F. Thus checked, Captain Bridge retired to cover of the ground, keeping up a return fire. Lieutenant-Colonty-fourth to report at Charleston, when transportation could be furnished. Captain Bridge, with Companies A, F, and H, embarked on the steamer Island City, May 4, an
1 2