hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Charles A. Nelson , A. M., Waltham, past, present and its industries, with an historical sketch of Watertown from its settlement in 1630 to the incorporation of Waltham, January 15, 1739. 5 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 5 results in 3 document sections:

actories, its churches and school-houses, its private residences, and its natural scenery attract the attention of those heretofore strangers to its marvellous beauty and to the enterprise of its people, and if an interest be aroused that shall call for a full and complete history from competent hands, this book will not have been written in vain. It remains to return sincere thanks to all who have kindly assisted the compiler, and rendered his task a pleasant one; especially to Mr. Jonathan Brown Bright, whose researches into the early records of the town and its church history, published in the files of the Waltham Sentinel and Waltham Free Press, have been freely drawn upon, and who kindly listened to and revised many pages of Mss.; to Mr. George Phinney, editor and publisher of the Waltham Free Press, for many courtesies and for free use of the files of the papers named; to Mr. J. H. Colby for the use of a small volume of Mss. notes on the early history of the town; and to John
of Grove Street, was the house of John Bright, a tanner, farmer, and magistrate, who received numerous appointments of trust from the town. This place has been in the family more than a century. Attached to the tannery, which was upon the bank of Beaver Brook, was a small shop that had been a barrack at Cambridge during the Revolution. The old house was taken down in 1848 and the present residence erected. The fine large elm in front was planted in 1720. The property is now owned by J. B. Bright, Esq. Beaver Brook, now a small stream, was once four rods wide, tradition says. In 1798 Main Street on the west side of Beaver Brook passed through a deep cut between high and steep banks. The one on the south side having a good growth of wood on its eastern side facing the brook, while that on the north side of the road was a sand bank so high and abrupt that it was not accessible, except on the west side of what is now Linden Street. The first house on the north side of Main
, Simul, owner of Oldham Farm, 38. Brewer, Col., Jonathan, wounded at Bunker Hill, 82; proposed an expedition to Quebec, 103 n. 1. Brick building for English weavers still standing, 126. Brick Tavern, old, 89, 90. Bridge; Matthew, Cornet Nathaniel, William property of, 80. Bridge on Lyman Place, 96. Bridges at Bemis Station, 128. Bright, Deacon Henry, Jr., fatal accident to, 49-50; marriage and residence, 50. Bright, John, tanner, etc., 83, 103, 104, 109 n. 2. Bright, J. B., 6, 83. Brighton, 22, 79. Brown Papers (the), old French war, 99. Brown, Capt., Abraham, autograph, 56. Brown, Capt., John, autograph, 94. Brown, Capt., Jonathan, 99. Brown, William, 64, 70, 73, 79, 81, 97 n. 3, 102. Browne, Richard, a ruler in a church in London, 23: independence of, 24; elder at Watertown, 24; complaints of congregation against, 24; discharged from his office of elder, 24; lands granted to him, 24 n. 2; a person of consequence, 24; zealous in maintaining