Your search returned 22 results in 9 document sections:
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MEDFORD, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, FROM ITS FIRST SETTLEMENT, IN 1630, TO THE PRESENT TIME, 1855. (ed. Charles Brooks), Chapter
: crimes and Punishments. (search)
Benjamin Cutter, William R. Cutter, History of the town of Arlington, Massachusetts, ormerly the second precinct in Cambridge, or District of Menotomy, afterward the town of West Cambridge. 1635-1879 with a genealogical register of the inhabitants of the precinct., chapter 9 (search)
Notes by a Medford Vacationist of long ago. Sixty-three years ago some one who had visited Medford, which then had about three thousand five hundred people, contributed an article on New England Villages, &c., to the Massachusetts Ploughman. He wrote over the signature of D. E. N., perhaps from Springfield, and the Ploughman coming under the notice of Mr. Alfred Brooks, it was by him sent to a friend, seventeen years after its publication. Medford (for a village) was then making a marked growth, and the writer, after mentioning the general features of New England villages, touches upon the march of improvement, and alludes to some of the public men of our old town. A few extracts follow:— New England villages vary, of course, in attraction and interest, but it would be difficult to find one devoid of both. If any Convention is needed here, it would be to relax the ardor of industry, not to quicken it. What they pray for, is to be let alone to work out their own salv
Medford men's Monumental money. The following names and sums appear in the list of contributors from Medford to the erection of Bunker Hill Monument:— Jonathan Angier$5 Nathan Adams5 Nathan Adams, Jr.5 John Brooks30 Jonathan Brooks10 A. S. V. Brooks5 John Brooks5 S. R. Brooks10 Charles Brooks10 Elizabeth Brooks10 Alfred Brooks10 Lucy A. Brooks10 Abner Bartlett5 Andrew Bigelow5 Leonard Bucknam5 Dudley Hall40 Dudley C. Hall5 Frederic D. Hall5 Ebenezer Hall10 Charles J. Hall$5 Edward B. Hall5 Wm. P. Huntington5 Joseph Manning5 Joseph Manning, Jr.5 Jonathan Porter5 Joseph Swan5 Benjamin L. Swan100 D. Swan5 Timothy Swan10 Caleb Swan10 Watts Turner5 Turell Tufts5 William Ward10 Samuel Ward5 William Ward, 3d5 John G. Ward5 Joseph Wyman, Jr.
Colonial houses—old and new. THE following article was written a few years since, at the request of Principal Hobbs, for use in the Brooks School, by Mrs. Alfred Brooks, who resides in the house described. It now appears in the Register with her consent. The quaint house at the corner of High and Woburn streets, commonly known as the Jonathan Brooks homestead, is one of the old landmarks of Medford. The writer does not know the date when it was built, but that it belongs to the very early colonial period is shown both by the external and internal architecture. The rooms are very low, and the great beams of the framework project around the sides and across the middle of the ceilings. There are two brick ovens, showing the builders intended to be well fed, and all the rooms, except one in the attic, had fireplaces. The largest of these has been bricked up, but the opening of one large one still remains, with hooks and the hinged place for the crane back of a modern stove.