bridge, the admired subject of frequent remark, the study of architects and artists and well known by its numerous pictures, succumbed to the commercialism of today.
It might have been a valuable asset in an artistic survey of the once beautiful estate, the central object in a park that would have added beauty thereto, whose value need not be estimated in square feet of land and less by cubic feet of stone.
In later years, during some excavation, an Indian burial place was found.
The bones of the aborigines thus exhumed were given appropriate sepulture by Mr. Francis Brooks, and a unique monument erected with this inscription, To Sagamore John and those Mystic Indians whose bones lie here.
In recent time this monument, with the vault beneath, has been placed near the bridge site by the present owners of the estate, where it is hoped it may ever remain.
An account of the same may be found in the Medford Mercury, as also in a previous issue a detailed description of the bridge.
anite arch, and the cellar referred to was probably that of a new barn close by.
Soon after this last discovery, Mr. Francis Brooks caused to be erected on the lawn where the earlier discovery was made the monument shown in our illustration.
It cystic Indians whose bones lie here.
On the north and south (respectively) are the dates 1630 and 1884.
Thus did Mr. Francis Brooks, as possessor of the soil wherein was this Indian necropolis, reverently and honorably reinter the remains of thosethern side of the canal's course, and the mansion house alluded to is seen in the background.
After the death of Mr. Francis Brooks, this house was in the occupancy of various tenants until in May, 1909, his estate, comprising over fifty acres, paeople whose good taste and sense of the fitness of things must be offended by the existing condition.
It may be that because the monument and its site is not public property that the commendable act of Mr. Brooks in its erection is thus made void.
search of facts regarding it) and found it prone on the ground, as it had just been overturned by disorderly boys.
The story of its original erection by Mr. Francis Brooks in 1884, with view of it on its original site, may be found in the Register, Vol.
XV, p. 30, told under the caption The Passing of a Medford Estate.
In thpeared upon the scene.
The wooden box was much decayed.
From it Superintendent Adams removed the remains of those whose bones lie here—we quote the words of Mr. Brooks' inscription as expression of the fact.
When originally discovered they were found buried in a sitting posture, but in the box they were simply packed in, in nill summarize thus:—
These stones of various kinds were a memorial to some of the aboriginal dwellers at this particular spot, erected at the instance of Mr. Francis Brooks, then owner and resident, in 1884.
The property had been in the Brooks family since 1656, and in the sale to the real estate trust no provision was made fo