hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MEDFORD, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, FROM ITS FIRST SETTLEMENT, IN 1630, TO THE PRESENT TIME, 1855. (ed. Charles Brooks) 2 2 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 25. 1 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 3 results in 3 document sections:

rs. Much wool was cleaned, carded, and rolled at the mill of Mr. John Albree, who was a manufacturer of starch and pomatum. Leaving out brick-making, ship-building, and distilling, we have little to record. Wooden heels were made by Mr. Samuel Reeves, 1750; and specimens of his work are yet among his great-grandchildren in Medford. Candles and hogsheads were extensively made, about the same time, by Messrs. Benjamin and Ebenezer Hall. Saltpetre was made in considerable quantities by Mr. Isaac Brooks. Wheelwrights carried on their business to a large extent. Mr. James Tufts and Son carried on for many years the pottery business. Tanning was vigorously pursued, with a great outlay of capital, by Mr. Ebenezer Hall, on land a few rods south-west of the Episcopal church; and by Mr. Jonathan Brooks, on land near Marble Brook, now owned by Mr. Noah Johnson. The first tan-yard in Medford was on the corner lot south-east of Whitmore's Bridge. It was bounded on the east by the brook, on
oses until May 15, 1758, when the town voted to build a new pound with stone. This was built accordingly, and placed on the west side of the Woburn road, six or eight rods north of Jonathan Brooks's house, in West Medford. Mr. Samuel Reeves, whose house stood on the spot now occupied by Mr. James Gibson's house, was the pound-keeper. The walls of this pound were very high and strong; and bad boys thought they had a right to throw stones at the cattle there confined. March 6, 1809: Mr. Isaac Brooks and others petitioned the town to have the pound removed. This petition was granted thus: Voted to have the pound removed to the town's land near Gravelly Bridge, so called; and said pound to be built of wood or stone, at the discretion of the committee. There the pound remained only for a short time; when it was removed to Cross Street, near the old brick primary schoolhouse. Diseases. That our Medford ancestors should have subjected themselves to the attack of some new disease
The Historian's home. Our illustration shows the home of Rev. Charles Brooks, where the History of Medford was written and much of his literary work was done. It was not his birthplace. He was born in the older house just below it facing eastward on old Woburn street, the story of which has been told in Vol. XVI, p. 69, of the Register, by the present occupant, Mrs. Ellen Newton Brooks. It is said to have been the home of his uncle Isaac Brooks (who died in 1819), and sold by his widow. The historian's father, Jonathan, purchased it, and made it his home until his death in 1847, when his son Charles, and daughter Lucy Ann Brooks, succeeded in its occupancy. Rev. Charles passed away in 1872 and Miss Lucy Ann many years later. It is a fine example of the type of New England dwellings of the better class of the early nineteenth century, and succeeded that of Deacon Bradshaw, which was probably like Medford's oldest, the Bradbury-Blanchard-Wellington house at Wellington. Th