hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 15. 8 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 8 results in 4 document sections:

ticism, English Poetry and Poets, in 1890. She wrote two volumes of short stories, My Fire Opal, and Other Tales, 1896, and Poverty Knob in 1900. Alamo Ranch appeared in 1903, and A Garden with House Attached in 1904. Four of these books were written after she was seventy-eight years of age and the last one in her eighty-third year. Mary B. Carret, whose childhood was spent alternately between the Island of Cuba and the Royall House, wrote, in 1899, The Little Hero of Matanzas. Louise Winsor Brooks made one of the wisest and most delightful books for children ever written, accessible to English readers by translating Heidi from the German of Johanna Spyri. She also translated Veronica and Rico and Wiseli by the same author. Mabel G. Foster, at one time a Medford school teacher, has written a novel of the Italian quarter called The Heart of the Doctor, and essays on Italian life and literature, art and history. Mary Augusta Kellogg is the author of Leo Dayne, a novel. A
r as can now be ascertained, were Asa Law, Marshall Symmes, William B. Thomas, Henry Richardson, Alfred Tufts, Henry Reed, David S. Hooker, Mark Durgin, Samuel F. Woodbridge and John Frost. How many beside Mr. Symmes were natives of Medford is unknown. Various occupations they had. Mr. Law, who bore the military title of Colonel, was in the engraving business, and also at times officiated as an auctioneer. Mr. Symmes was a farmer, and resided at Symmes' Corner in Upper Medford, in Governor Brooks' birthplace, and when Winchester was incorporated was thus arbitrarily moved out of town. Mr. Thomas was a carpenter, skilled at his trade, and served the town in various offices. Mr. Richardson and Mr. Reed were ship-carpenters in the days when things were lively on the Mystic. Mr. Woodbridge was a Faneuil Hall market-man, and John Frost was a fish man whose white head gained him the sobriquet of Jack Frost. Mr. Tufts was a wheelwright and Mr. Hooker a blacksmith. The 18-18 Boys
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 15., Marshall Symmes of Upper Medford. (search)
n descent from Rev. Zachariah Symmes, the first minister of the Charlestown church. The ancestral home was upon the minister's farm, granted to him in those early colonial days. Some portions have never passed from, but are still in the family name. The location being in that part of old Charlestown lying northwest of Medford, its residents were obliged to journey through the latter to their meetinghouse, and in 1754 their section was annexed thereto. Incidentally we notice that Governor Brooks was a native of Charlestown (and not of Medford, as has been stated), having been born in what became the former residence of Marshall Symmes, and at a date prior to the annexation to Medford. Reverend Zachariah had a large posterity, many of whom were artisans of various crafts, as well as farmers and professional men, and their mills and shops were scenes of busy industry in the days long gone. At the present time the Marshall Symmes farm is passing somewhat into residential sites
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 15., The passing of a Medford estate. (search)
The passing of a Medford estate. For two hundred and fifty years the name of Brooks has been associated with Medford, as Thomas Brooks bought part of the Cradock farm in 1660. His son Caleb lived in the mansion house of Golden Moore, mentioned by Edward Collins in his deed. Since Caleb (the first resident of the Brooks name), successive generations have there had their homes until the recent sale of the estate (including the mansion built by Peter C. Brooks in 1802) to a real estate trust. During the century gradual disposals have been made, but the latest will produce the change most marked. In 1803 the Middlesex canal, and in 1835 the Lowell railroad, were opened for travel through it. Early in the fifties the southern portion came into the possession of Thomas P. Smith. Oak Grove Cemetery is in the northern border, and also enlarged from this estate. Next, the Playstead took a portion along Whitmore brook, and the residential section near the Gleason school followed. In