hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 29. 8 2 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 8. 1 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 9 results in 4 document sections:

d this place from 1800 to 1830. Mr. Smith was born in Lexington, Massachusetts. He was six years old when the battle of Lexington occurred, and he had a distinct remembrance of the event. The Payson farm being so near to the canal bridge, Mr. Smith's house was free and open to passengers taking the boats. Over the bridge crossing the canal lived Thomas Calfe, the gardener for Peter C. Brooks. This house was on the corner of Grove street. An eighth of a mile further east lived Miss Rebecca Brooks—Aunt Becky. Robert Caldwell lived in her house and carried on the farm. This house was remodelled and used by Mrs. T. P. Smith for a boarding school in the fifties. The school was known as Mystic Hall Seminary for Young Ladies, and was very popular in its day. Nearly opposite lived Miss Rebecca's brother Caleb, on the present site of the railroad station. One of the first station agents of the Boston and Lowell railroad at West Medford lived there afterward. He was known as Do
ative of the development of the Brooks estate. Evidently that house remains (the farmhouse long occupied by Lucien Conant), and last year was remodelled with stucco coating. His next statement is, an eighth of a mile further east lived Miss Rebecca Brooks—Aunt Becky. Robert Caldwell lived in her house and carried on the farm, i.e., what he styled the Payson farm. The Fuller plan of 1854 shows the outline of this house, and also the one-hundred-foot barn in which was later the gymnasium of the site of present Brentwood Court, and Aunt Becky's house was later the residence of Mrs. Smith, and one of the seminary buildings Elijah Smith alluded to. See illustration, Register, Vol. XI, No. 3. He also stated that nearly opposite, Miss Brooks' brother Caleb lived on the site of present railway station. As he told this in 1903 and the present station was built in 1891, and this house is shown on the Fuller plan of 1854, it indicates some later changes. This was his only allusion t
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 29., Development of the business section of West Medford. (search)
Development of the business section of West Medford. The Eleazer Usher house was, till 1840, in the heart of this section, and was the building shown in Brooks' History, p. 217. Before it stood the great elm (a little in the road), somewhat ruthlessly removed before the street car track was laid. The date of its erection is put at 1680. It was probably moved, at about 1840, across the street to the site of the present post office. In 1870 it was occupied by John C. Hatch, and for many years after by Daniel K. Richardson, stable keeper and policeman. It then stood about two rods from the Wyatt house. Its removal was probably caused by the erection of the new dwelling of James Madison Usher, who was born in the old Whitmore-Usher home in 1814. This new house with its stable was shaded by many trees, enlarged in 1871, and was enclosed by a massive front fence. In May, 1870, only one little one-story building stood on the angular lot opposite it. At that time Ellis Pitcher h
n the wall a variety of pictures and portraits. That of (then) President Fillmore was stripped off without fracture or injury and borne by the gale into a garden a half-mile away. Its finder restored it to the owner who replaced it. Of it, Rev. Mr. Brooks remarked, Political prophets may tell us what this foreshadows. But President Fillmore did not succeed himself in the White House. Mrs. Caldwell (of Irving street) took a journey on the wings of the wind and was safely set down one hundrm, $23,606 in Arlington and $18,768 in Medford. These figures we gather from the report of a committee chosen by citizens in West Medford during the ensuing week. This report was in a neatly bound volume of seventy-two pages,—forty pages by Mr. Brooks, in the interest of science. eleven by the committee, and the rest relative to West Cambridge and Waltham. Less explicit, but terse, was the reply of one of the sufferers in relating his views: Och! sure the wurrld has coom to an end, the