Your search returned 7 results in 4 document sections:
The Medford Syren. Among the interesting reminders of busy times in Medford is the rigged model of the clipper ship Syren (the 449th in the list and the first of those built in the year 1851, and in the yard of Sprague and James) which may be seen at the Historical Building. Within two years there has come to the Society a photograph of the Syren lying at a wharf; also from Mr. Shepherd Brooks a photograph of the Ellen Brooks, 480 tons, built by George Fuller for R. D. Shepherd in 1834, the 197th in the list of Medford-built ships. These are especially interesting. The Syren is given as 1,050 tons in the list in Brooks' history. In 1851 Frederic Gleason of Boston began the weekly publication of Gleason's Pictorial, probably the first of its kind. Its illustrations were wood cuts, as it was long before the modern half-tone process. An examination of its pages is well worth making, and therein we find one of the Syren and reproduce here the text. Vol I, p. 149, (July 5,
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 30., The
Brooks Estates in Medford from to 1660 . (search)
The Brooks Estates in Medford from 1660 to 1927. By Richard B. Coolidge. [Read before the Medford Historical Society, March 21, 1927. Acknowledgment is due Mrs. Shepherd Brooks, who generously made available her husband's manuscript referred to in the text, and to Mrs. Coolidge who compiled the material.] IT is one of the functions of a historical society to record history as it transpires. Here in Medford it is unfortunate that we have so few records of certain memorable periods of ou
reet was a small orchard with a narrow farm lot behind it. North of this was the hither pasture and then the sheep pasture leading in toward the middle pasture and Slow pond.
Behind this in turn was Rock pasture.
About where the house of Mrs. Shepherd Brooks stands today was the upper pasture, and behind that the woodlot, extending practically to Symmes corner.
The land on Grove street above Brooks pond was divided into six narrow holdings, running in from the road between the pond and Symmes