Your search returned 35 results in 11 document sections:

1 2
egally convened at Medford, March 7, 1748, Mr. Andrew Hall was chosen Moderator. Dea. Benj. Willis,Selectmen. Capt. Samuel Brooks, Lieut. Stephen Hall, Thomas Seccomb, Town-clerk. Benj. Parker, Town-treasurer. Joseph Tufts,Assessors. Thos. Brooks, Edward Hall, Stephen Willis, chosen Constable, refused to serve, and paid £ 10, old tenor. Francis Whitmore, 2d Constable, but refused to serve, and paid £ 10, old tenor. Samuel Reeves, 3d Constable. He refused to serve, and paid £ 10, oo much drained, it is further resolved that this House will, by all prudent means, endeavor to discountenance the use of foreign superfluities, and encourage the manufactures of this Province. Thomas Seccomb. Benjamin Hall. Joshua Simonds. Thomas Brooks. Samuel Angier. John Bishop. Willis Hall. Medford, April 1, 1768. 1770: Voted to raise £ 130 for town expenses, and to give eleven-pence on the pound as premium to the collector. 1773: Meeting for the annual choice of town-officers.
t the decision of Massachusetts might be final. The gentleman they first chose declined. The choice then fell on Capt. Thomas Brooks, as a man whose solid judgment, characteristic decision, and burning patriotism, fitted him for the trying emergend a form of government for the future. That year, for the first and only time, two representatives were chosen,--Captain Thomas Brooks, and Mr. Stephen Hall, 3d. When towns were dissatisfied with any laws, it was usual to instruct their represenon or form of government made. Yeas, 22; nays, 15. They appoint a Committee to instruct their Representative (Capt. Thomas Brooks). The record is thus:-- May 17, 1779: The Committee appointed to instruct their Representative relative to form. Samuel Brooks1762. Stephen Hall1763. Benjamin Hall1770. Simon Tufts1772. Benjamin Hall1775. Thomas Brooks1776. T. Brooks, (under the Constitution)1780. Thomas Brooks1781. Aaron Hall1782. John Brooks1785. James Wyman1787. Thomas Brooks1
east of the house he now occupies; and, when that mansion-house was first repaired, the schoolhouse was moved, and now makes part of the rear of said dwelling. The fourth schoolhouse stood as ordered by the following vote: March 11, 1771, voted to build the schoolhouse upon the land behind the meeting-house, on the north-west corner of the land. This spot is three or four rods northwest of the present meeting-house of the first parish. The building-committee were Benjamin Hall, Captain Thomas Brooks, and Mr. Willis Hall. These houses, above noticed, were of wood; but the town, May 5, 1795, voted to build a brick schoolhouse behind the meeting-house. They agreed to give William Woodbridge two hundred and twenty pounds, and the old schoolhouse, to build it. This was the fifth house built by the town. It consisted of one large room, sufficient for sixty or seventy pupils: it was arranged after the newest models, and furnished with green blinds, hung at their tops! The arrange
0300106007 Richard Sprague0600510010 Joseph Tomson060041004 Samuel Brooks, jun.030048037 Total, ninety-eight persons. As a specimen of the town expenses and tax for one year, let us take 1747. They are as follows (old tenor):-- Balance due the town from last account£4153 Whole town-tax for 1747490144    £431197 Treasurer paid, during the year 1747, by orders from said town£4311511 Balance due from treasurer10038 Errors excepted. Pr. Joseph Tufts, Committee. Thomas Brooks, Committee. June 5, 1753, the General Court laid a tax on coaches, chariots, chaises, calashes, and riding-chairs. Medford, in 1754, had 1 chariot, 7 chaises, and 31 chairs. Cambridge, during the same time, had 9 chaises and 36 chairs. Woburn had 2 chaises and 9 chairs. Maiden had 2 chaises and 20 chairs. During the revolutionary struggle, debts were accumulated to vast amounts; and, on the 26th February, 1781, the Legislature stated, that £ 950,000, specie value, were needed <
eath. List of slaves, and their owners' names. Worcester,owned byRev. E. Turell. PompeyDr. Simon Tufts. RoseCaptain Thomas Brooks. PompCaptain Thomas Brooks. PeterCaptain Francis Whitmore. LondonSimon Bradshaw. SelbyDeacon Benjamin Willis.Captain Thomas Brooks. PeterCaptain Francis Whitmore. LondonSimon Bradshaw. SelbyDeacon Benjamin Willis. PrinceBenjamin Hall. PunchWidow Brooks. FloraStephen Hall. RichardHugh Floyd. DinahCaptain Kent. CaesarMr. Brown. ScipioMr. Pool. PeterSquire Hall. NiceSquire Hall. CuffeeStephen Greenleaf. IsaacJoseph Tufts. AaronHenry Gardner. Chloe-Widow Brooks. FloraStephen Hall. RichardHugh Floyd. DinahCaptain Kent. CaesarMr. Brown. ScipioMr. Pool. PeterSquire Hall. NiceSquire Hall. CuffeeStephen Greenleaf. IsaacJoseph Tufts. AaronHenry Gardner. Chloe-------- Negro girlMr. Boylston. Negro womanDr. Brooks. Joseph, Plato, PhebeIsaac Royal. Peter, Abraham, CooperIsaac Royal. Stephy, George, HagarIsaac Royal. Mira, Nancy, BetseyIsaac Royal. We are indebted to a friend for the following: It Dr. Brooks. Joseph, Plato, PhebeIsaac Royal. Peter, Abraham, CooperIsaac Royal. Stephy, George, HagarIsaac Royal. Mira, Nancy, BetseyIsaac Royal. We are indebted to a friend for the following: It may be interesting here to mention a circumstance illustrative of the general feeling of the town in those days with regard to slavery. In the spring of 1798 or ‘99, a foreigner named Andriesse, originally from Holland, who had served many years at
n the new meeting-house was Lydia, daughter of Samuel Teel, March 18, 1770. Nov. 24, 1759.--The name of Mead occurs for the first time in the Medford records. 1760.--The word dollar occurs in the Medford records for the first time. 1760.--A certain clergyman said to an Indian, I am sorry to see you drink rum. The Indian replied, Yes, we Indians do drink rum; but we do not make it. 1761.--The first record of any vote of thanks in Medford bears date of May 13, 1761, thanking Mr. Thomas Brooks for his good services as treasurer. 1762.--Wages for a man's labor one day, three shillings and fourpence (lawful money); for a man and team, six shillings and eightpence. Nov. 1, 1763.--The Stamp Act went into operation. In 1763, there were nine hundred and five full-blooded Indians in the Old Colony. Sept. 7, 1767.--Voted that the one hundred and three hymns written by Dr. Watts be used in public worship, in connection with Tate and Brady's version of the Psalms. Thoma
derick. 2-17John Tufts m. Elizabeth Sargent, Mar. 28, 1723, and had--  17-51John, b. Dec. 13, 1723; d. Aug. 16, 1725. 2-23SIMON Tufts was the first physician of Medford; graduated, H. C., 1724; d. June 31, 1747. He m. Abigail Smith, who d. 1790, aged 90, by whom he had--  23-52Simon, b. Jan. 16, 1727.  53Abigail, b. Sept. 22, 1730; m. John Bishop, Dec. 7, 1752.  54William, b. Aug. 28, 1732.  55Cotton, b. May 30, 1734.  56Samuel, b. Jan. 7, 1736.  57Mercy, b. Oct. 19, 1742; m. Thos. Brooks, jun., Dec. 29, 1762.  58Anna, b. Nov. 8, 1744; m. Peter Jones, May 2, 1765. 3-33Joseph Tufts m. Lydia Francis, Jan. 12, 1727, and had--  33-59Rebecca, b. Mar. 31, 1728.  60Lydia, b. Aug. 24, 1729.  61Joseph, b. Feb. 21, 1731.  62Samuel, b. Aug. 16, 1732.  63John, b. Nov. 18, 1735.  64Ebenezer, b. Apr. 14, 1739; d. May 4, 1739. 4-38Peter Tufts, of Milk Row, d. Dec. 5, 1776; had bequeathed him, by his father, forty-four acres of land, which was bought of Judge Russell, in 1701
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., The development of the public School of Medford. (search)
e old one would be necessary. May 15, 1770, Benjamin Hall, John Bishop, Joshua Symonds, Capt. Thos. Brooks, and Willis Hall were appointed a committee to provide a spot for a School House Between won the Land behind the Meeting House on the North West Corner of the Land. Benjamin Hall, Capt. Thos. Brooks, and Willis Hall were appointed the committee to carry out this vote. At this same meetinse was doubtless Daniel Newcomb, of the Harvard class of 1768. The second building, called by Brooks in his History of Medford the third, was probably of wood, and was completed in 1771 as it is rev. 26, 1771, to Deacon Samuel Kidder and Jonathan Watson for building a school-house, £ 73-6-8. Brooks' statement about this building is as follows: The third school-house stood very near the street,tion must have brought it, in spite of its small size, pretty close to Jonathan Watson's house. Brooks evidently could find no date for the construction of this building, because he had accepted as a
hat the duty on them be abated, but no further action than to lay it on the table was taken. He probably had at least fifteen at a time, and the slave-quarters, so-called, have become an object of considerable historical interest. The entire number of persons holding slaves in the last half of the 18th century probably did not exceed thirty, the town records giving, indirectly, the names of twenty. Partial list of slaveholders: Capt. Caleb Brooks, Ebenezer Brooks, Samuel Brooks, Capt. Thomas Brooks,—Bishop,—Brown, Mary Bradshaw, Andrew Hall, Jonathan Hall, Jr., Stephen Hall, Benj. Hall, Hugh Floyd, Jacob Polly, Zachariah Pool, Isaac Royall, Dr. Simon Tufts, Rev. Mr. Turrell, Stephen Willis, Deacon Benj. Willis, Francis Whitmore. Not that our ancestors believed it wrong; the names of Rev. Mr. Turrell and Deacon Benj. Willis would refute that. But economically it was unprofitable, and its ultimate extinction was doubtless the expectation of all who gave the subject any thought.
1 Adams, JohnNewtown, June 12, 1773Tenants of Heirs of Wm. Whitmore     Hannah (wife)     Hannah Children     John Children Adams, JosephRev. Mr. Cooks Parish In present town of Arlington. April 3, 1769Farmer employed by Col. Royall Single man Adams, NathanJan. 30, 1791 Allen, George    Hannah (wife)Cambridge, April, 1757Feb. 8, 1758Tenant of Francis Whitmore Allen, SamuelBoston, June 18, 1755Age 12. In family of Dan'l Cutter Alexander, SarahWoburn, Mar. 9, 1757In family of Thos. Brooks, Jr. Anderson, WilliamJan. 30, 1791 Bailey, JohnRowley, July 7, 1759In family of Samuel Page Barrell, Joseph, Jr.Aug. 31, 1797 Barto, ElizabethLynn, June 28, 1755Maid-servant Barton, WilliamAug. 31, 1797 Barthrick, TimothyCambridge, Apr. 4, 1753Feb. 2, 1754In family of Samuel Brooks, Jr. Cambridge, Jan. 1764Dec. 3, 1764 Baxter, ContentLexington, Apr., 1767May 1 6, Girl. Beemis, CharityWaltham, Feb. 16, 1773Maid-servant in family of Ebenezer Hall, Jr. Benjamin, AbigailC
1 2