Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 6. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for Brooks or search for Brooks in all documents.

Your search returned 4 results in 4 document sections:

ts; but there was no organization, and no time to effect one. Col. Kennedy attempted to improvise mounted pickets for the several roads on which they might enter, but he had scarcely got his forces mounted until the clattering of hoofs was heard on the western pike, and in a few minutes the rebel advance was in the centre of the town. They stated that they bore a flag of truce, and wished to be taken to the commandant of the post. I had just got word of the movement to Gov. Curtin and Gen. Brooks, at Hagerstown, when I was sent for to meet the distinguished strangers. A hasty message to Hagerstown and Harrisburgh, stating that the town was about to be surrendered, closed telegraph communication, and Mr. Gilmore, the operator, prepared at once for the advent of his successors, and struck out along the line toward Harrisburgh with his instrument. I went up town to meet the flag of truce, and found a clever-looking butternut, dripping wet, without any mark of rank, bearing a dirty
when the enemy made a desperate effort to get it, but a portion of the Nineteenth rallied, and getting possession of it, carried it off the field with them. In making out this report it is with pleasure I can say the officers and men behaved nobly and fought desperately, as if the fate of the battle depended on them alone. I will mention especially Capt. Roderick, of Co. K, whom I left in charge of some scattered troops, also Capt. Richmond, of Co. H, and Capt. Taylor, of Co. G; also Lieut. Brooks, of Co. I, who brought the colors off the field, and in doing so was badly wounded. Others are equally meritorious, but are too numerous to mention at present. The report of the detachment of skirmishers I give to you as received. To Major Kent, Commanding Nineteenth Regiment Iowa Volunteers: sir: Having been ordered to take command of the three companies of skirmishers on the seventh, the day of battle, I advanced them to the right of battery E, of the First Missouri, where the
was ascertained that they were firing on our own troops. The fact of the rebels firing on their own troops proved to us that they had one or more batteries planted on the opposite shore, for the purpose of sweeping the road as we advanced. Gens. Sumner and Couch soon came to a conclusion that these batteries must be at once silenced, so that we might have free access along the river road. The Fifty-seventh New-York, Licut.-Col. Chapman commanding, and the Fifty-third Pennsylvania, Col. Brooks, advanced as skirmishers along the Falmouth road, until within a mile of the town. These two regiments were followed by the remainder of the brigade to which they belong, consisting of the Second Delaware, Col. Bailey; Sixty-sixth New-York, Colonel Pinkney, and the Fifty-second New-York, Col. Frank--the whole brigade commanded by Col. Zook, of the Fifty-seventh New-York. Capt. Pettit's battery, the First New-York artillery, and Owens's and Tompkins's two Rhode Island batteries followed.
ed to carry pontoon-boats to the place designated for crossing; the regiment carried down five boats, and it was done in perfect silence and order. After launching the boats, the regiment marched to where their arms had been left, and was then ordered to the banks of the river, where it remained until the bridge was finished; it then marched to a hill a short distance from the river, and remained there bivouacked until about four o'clock P. M. of the first of May, and relieved a regiment of Brooks's division doing picket-duty, being under artillery and musketry fire several times during the day, until about six o'clock P. M., when two companies were deployed, in addition to the picket force, and the rebels were driven by them from their lines, back, and into their intrenchments on the hills. The regiment was relieved during the evening and bivouacked about half-past 10 P. M., and was, by orders, failed in and ready for the march in one hour and a half afterwards. At twelve midnight,