Your search returned 2 results in 1 document
the four years of the war for State aid to soldiers' families, and which was afterwards refunded by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $25.42; in 1862, $515.01; in 1863, $1,636.90; in 1864, $1,532.34; in 1865, $1,450.00. Total in four years, $5,159.67.
Incorporated Feb. 20, 1797.
Population in 1860, 904; in 1865, 866.
Valuation in 1860, $268,439; in 1865, $273,400.
The selectmen in 1861 were Willis W. Barnett, Emerson L. Mason, Orin Tower; in 1862, Melvin Bowker, Caleb Brown, Edward Mason; in 1863, Melvin Bowker, George Hall, Ambrose B. Perkins; in 1864, Emerson L. Mason, Henry P. Tyler, Willis W. Barnett; in 1865, Harrison Snow, Henry P. Tyler, Ambrose B. Perkins.
The town-clerk during all the years of the war was Harrison Snow.
The town-treasurer in 1861, 1862, 1863, and 1864, was William Sherman; in 1865, Henry F. Bliss.
1861. The first legal town-meeting, to act upon matters relating to the war, was held on the 21st of September; at which the town,