Browsing named entities in The Daily Dispatch: January 16, 1864., [Electronic resource]. You can also browse the collection for Thomas Brown or search for Thomas Brown in all documents.

Your search returned 2 results in 2 document sections:

as on Cary street, directly opposite Castle Thunder, although all persons confined in both are under the supervision of the same officers. From Lieut. Wilburn who was on duty at the time, we obtained the following list of those who made good their exit from the prison: Wm. C. Williams, Frank Shepherd, K. Lent, John Criner, Wallace Edson, H. H. Parker, Henry Bradburg, G. W. Danner, Geo. Scott, Philip Smith, Chas. Williams, Patrick McAnally, Arthur Hill, Geo. Gaillard, Chas Smith, Wm. May, Thos. Brown, and Mann Clark. Their mode of escape was by removing some bricks from under the sill of the door to the second story of the building. Running in a line with the floor of this story is a wide platform, on which a sentinel is constantly posted; and when we consider that their means of egress was so near the guardsman as to almost scrape his feet, it does not speak well for his vigilance that the enterprise was so successful. A prisoner in the same room with those who escaped, also a des
and lodged him in the lock-up for examination. Capt. W. N. Smith, Superintendent of the C. S. Laboratory, gave Berile an excellent character. He had been employed for the last three years as shipping clerk of that establishment, and he had never had reason to suspect him of any improper conduct. Some time since the prisoner applied to him to exchange fifteen boxes of "large" for "small" tin, exhibiting at the same time an order from the proper authority, which had been approved by Lt.-Col. Brown. Seeing that the papers had been properly made out, he (Smith) did not hesitate to make the exchange, and therefore agreed he should have it. Berile took a part of it, promising to deliver an equal number of boxes as soon as it reached the city; it was then on its way to this city from Wilmington, but owing to the difficulties of transportation its arrival had been delayed. Capt. Smith further testified that a few days ago, finding that the tine expected from Wilmington had not yet arr