hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2. 2 0 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 12. 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 4 results in 2 document sections:

Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., A business man of long ago. (search)
used in carrying ship timber to the various shipyards of Medford. It left the main canal at Mystic avenue. Benjamin, Ebenezer, and Dudley Hall Son of Benjamin Hall, Jr. were the directors. In two years (1807 to 1809) $256.98 were received for tolls. Jonathan Warner and John Jaquith were the keepers of the locks. The first dividend was declared in February, 809,—four dollars on a share of one hundred dollars. In 1803 Benjamin Hall, John Brooks, Fitch Hall, Ebenezer Hall, 2d, and Samuel Buell First postmaster of Medford. were the petitioners to the Legislature to form the Medford Turnpike Association. This road was built east of Winter and Ploughed hills and presented a shorter route to Boston than the old road over Winter hill. The road was built and proved a great convenience to teamsters. It remained a turnpike until 1867, when it was laid out as a county road. Few old residents of Medford, to this day, call it by its modern name, Mystic avenue. It is the Turnpike t
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 12., The pump in the market place; and other water supplies of Medford, old and modern. (search)
nient way. August 2, 1802, the following vote was passed by the selectmen: To allow Messrm Ebenr Hall & Samuel Beul to lay a Suction from the Town Pump Well to each of their houses, on condition that if the water fails or proves insufficient for the Towns use, then their pumps shall be rendered useless & regulated by the selectmen-And also the street shall not in any way be injured by laying said Suction. Ebenezer Hall's house was on the site of the Boston & Maine Railroad station, and Samuel Buell's lot is the site of our City Hall. Was this the precursor of the present system of piping premises and houses, and is there then nothing new under the sun? On the south side of the river on Main street, as far as South and Swan streets, were five wells, and here were several dwelling houses, stores, offices, three blacksmiths' shops, a lumber yard, a stone cutters' yard, and at one time a hotel. These wells supplied all the families in this locality with water for housework, exc