he war in cash and books for the soldiers to the value of one hundred and fifty dollars. Touching and appropriate resolutions were passed by them on the occasion of their superintendent, Edmund W. Clark, exchanging these peaceful scenes for the dangers of the battle-field.
Incorporated Feb. 16, 1816.
Population in 1860, 1,025; in 1865, 999.
Valuation in 1860, $583,850; in 1865, $610,644.
The selectmen in 1861 were Micah H. Gross, D. Allen, H. M. Potter; in 1862 and 1863, Ezra Cary, Daniel B. Gillett, Edward Cary; in 1864 and 1865, Cyrus F. Woods, Micah H. Gross, Henry M. Smith.
The town-clerk and town-treasurer during all of these years was Joseph S. Jones.
1861. The first legal town-meeting, to act upon matters in relation to the war, was held on the 6th of May, at which the following preamble and resolutions were adopted:—
Whereas a large section of our country with arms in their hands are now in open rebellion, for the overthrow of our Government, and t