Your search returned 37 results in 14 document sections:

1 2
to the desire and request of some of our inhabitants, that our town-meeting may be regulated according to law, we, the subscribers, have openly declared, at said meeting, that those of our inhabitants, and only those, that are worth or have in possession to the value of £ 20, ratable estate, may vote at said meeting. 1718: The new names found in the lists are as follows: Francis Laithe, Joseph Serjant, John Chadson, John Goold, William Manson, Peter Edes, Joseph Ballard, John Choub, Aaron Cleveland, William Wicker, Jonathan Tompson, Mr. Semer, John Watson, Thomas Sanders, Luke Blashfield, Nath. Laurans, Samuel Haeson, Abram Cumins, Nath. Locke, John Winship, John Whiten. May 12, 1718: Medford voted to petition the General Court for some out-lands for the further benefit of the town. 1721: The General Court gave the town £ 160, on their application for aid; and the town voted to loan it out to the inhabitants in sums not exceeding £ 10, nor less than £ 5, to any one person; i
established themselves there as early as 1636. The father of our townsman, who gave his own Christian name to his son, possessed great wealth, and, turning his eyes to Massachusetts, purchased of Elizabeth, widow of John Usher (Lieutenant-Governor), five hundred and four acres, three quarters, and twenty-three rods of land, for £ 10,350. 7s. 9d., on the 26th December, 1732. The record runs thus:-- This estate is bounded south-west on Menotomy Road; west, on land of Nathaniel Tufts, Aaron Cleveland, and John Tufts; east, on the river and salt marsh of Captain Samuel Brooks in part, and part on river and salt marsh now improved by Josiah Whittemore; and south-east, on land of said Whittemore, lying on both sides of Medford or Mystic Road. Colonel Royal came here with his family in 1738. He died in Medford on Thursday, June 7, 1739, in the forenoon, was buried in Medford on Saturday, 10th inst., and was carried, the same night, to Dorchester, and there buried in his marble tomb
; and d. 1689, leaving seven children.  2-3Samuel Porter, son of the last, was b. Apr. 6, 1660; afterwards judge; m. Joanna, dau. of Aaron Cook, of Hadley. He d. July 29, 1722, aged 62, leaving three sons and four daughters.  3-4Rev. Aaron Porter, second son and third child of the last, was b. July 19, 1689. Grad. H. C., 1708; and m., in 1709, Susanna Sewall, sister of the chief justice; and had--  4-5Aaron, b. July 9, 1714; d. young.  6Susanna, b. Mar. 1, 1716; m., Aug. 4, 1739, Rev. A. Cleveland.  7Margaret, b. July 18, 1717.  8Joanna, b. Mar. 22, 1719; m., Jan. 1, 1735, Josiah Cleveland.   He died Jan. 24, 1722, and has many descendants through the Clevelands; especially, of those now alive, are Rev. Charles Cleveland, of Boston, and Professor Charles D. Cleveland, of Philadelphia.  9Porter, John, came from England, 1632; of Salem, 1637; was made freeman, 1646. Had children, who settled at Topsfield and Wenham, from which latter place Deacon William Porter removed to B
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Carlyle's laugh and other surprises, chapter 12 (search)
three calls, that life would soon be ended. He was born at Hartford, Connecticut, on October 8, 1833, and was the second son of Colonel Edmund Burke Stedman and his wife Elizabeth Clement (Dodge) Stedman. His great-grandfather was the Reverend Aaron Cleveland, Jr., a Harvard graduate of 1735, and a man of great influence in his day, who died in middle life under the hospitable roof of Benjamin Franklin. Stedman's mother was a woman of much literary talent, and had great ultimate influence inan, dating back to November 2, 1873, when he greeted me for the first time in a kinship we had just discovered. We had the same great-grandfather, though each connection was through the mother, we being alike great-grandchildren of the Reverend Aaron Cleveland, Jr., from whom President Grover Cleveland was also descended. At the time of this mutual discovery Stedman was established in New York, and although I sometimes met him in person, I can find no letters from him until after a period of
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Carlyle's laugh and other surprises, chapter 18 (search)
sor, E. W. Atkinson, Charles H. Atkinson, William Atkinson, Robert W. Atkinson, Miss C. P. Atkinson, and Mrs. R. G. Wadsworth. This gives the mere outline of a life of extraordinary activity and usefulness which well merits a further delineation in detail. Mr. Atkinson's interest in public life began with a vote for Horace Mann in 1848. Twenty years after, speaking at Salem, he described himself as never having been anything else than a Republican; but he was one of those who supported Cleveland for President in 1884, and whose general affinities were with the Democratic party. He opposed with especial vigor what is often called the imperial policy, which followed the Cuban War, and he conducted a periodical of his own from time to time, making the most elaborate single battery which the war-party had to encounter. From an early period of life he was a profuse and vigorous pamphleteer, his first pamphlet being published during the Civil War and entitled Cheap Cotton by free l
Historic leaves, volume 3, April, 1904 - January, 1905, Charlestown schools in the Eighteenth century. (search)
e school in this town, to instruct youth in reading, writing, and cyphering, and other sciences, he having been recommended as a person of sober and good conversation. (Frothingham, page 260.) May 15, 1728, the question came up in town meeting whether the selectmen shall agree with some person to assist Mr. Sweetser in teaching the school or shall erect another building. The committee chosen to consider the matter were Thomas Greaves, Daniel Russell, Joseph Kent, Joseph Lemmon, and Aaron Cleveland. Later they make an interesting report, in which they suggest that many unfit to attend be kept out of the school. They also think it might do to have a reading school somewhere at the town charge. Another committee, to regulate the school accordingly, consisted of Deacon Samuel Frothingham, Deacon Jonathan Kettle, and Joseph Lemmon. That word somewhere may have encouraged the petition of several of the inhabitants of the town. In answer thereto, June 17, 1728, it was voted that th
y, Richard, 76. Charles, King, 77. Charles River, 4, 27, 51, 54, 56, 74. Charlestown, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 16, 18, 19, 20, 29, 30, 44, 47, 48, 49, 53, 60, 65, 74, 88, 89, 90. Charlestown. The Schools of, Beyond the Neck, 87-93. Charlestown Schools in the Eighteenth Century, 11-20. Charlestown Schools Within the Peninsula, 43-48, 64-69. Chelmsford, Mass., 1, 7. Chelsea, Mass., 71. City Square, Charlestown, 30. Clarendon Hill, 54, 56. Clark, Joan, 73. Clark, Sarah, 65. Cleveland, Aaron, 14. Clopton, Thomasine, 26. Coggan, John, 26. Coitmore, Martha, 26. Cole, John F., 40. Colonies, United, of New England, 30. Conant's Island, 30. Concord, Mass., 47, 77, 78, 82, 83, 84, 85. Concord Bridge, 38. Concord, N. H., 6. Concord River. 1, 9, 31. Connecticut, 74. Cooper, John, 78, 79, 80. Cooper, Lydia, 73, 78, 80. Cordis, Captain, 67. Corlet, Elijah, 82. Cotton, —, 74. Cotton, Anna (Moses), 21. Cotton, Mary Belle, 21. Cotton, William Wallace, 21. Countes
resent, and that it be new built as soon as possible. The Court accepted the report and appointed John Bradshaw and Aaron Cleveland to provide timber and wood, and when they have done the work, to lay the cost and charges thereof before the Court. same to be paid by the respective towns of Charlestown, Medford, Maiden, Woburn, and Reading, Charlestown to pay to Aaron Cleveland sixty-four pounds and fourteen shillings, and Medford, Malden, Woburn and Reading to pay to John Bradshaw seventeen nd Reading voted to try to get clear of mending Mistick bridge in future. In 1725 the town of Charlestown sold to Aaron Cleveland and Samuel Kendall a piece of upland and marsh, situated on the corner of the great road leading to Charlestown and he line the defect is, and report to the Court at their adjournment, and that the bridge be forthwith repaired by Capt. Aaron Cleveland, and the charge borne as the Court shall order, and that the committee give reasonable notice of their coming. T
Sd bridge ye way runs from ye Sd eight feet from the post on the north fide of Sd Bridge to the corner of Peter Seccombe Garden fence & soe to sd Seccombs north East Platforme & soe it cuts of part of Sd Seccombs Southerly Platforme and on the South Side of Sd bridge the way runs from ye eight foot below ye South Post below Bridge to A Ceder Stake which stands four Rood from sd Seccombs north east corner & from sd Ceder Stake to ten feet on the north Corner of ye great barn In 1729, Aaron Cleveland sold to Andrew Hall a parcel of land bounded Northerly part on land formerly belonging to the Grate barn. the way is to be two Rood & twelue feet wide from the mark on the Barn to Peter Waits South East Corner & as to the way leading to woborn we find it wide enough between mr Thomas —Tufts & mr Peter Secombs & we agree to have ye line Run on the north Side of the way leading to maldin from Peter waits South east Corner a Straight line to that Corner of Beniamin Parkers house yt stands
ge, bounded west and northwest on the country road; northeast on a highway laid out from the country road to land of Aaron Cleveland; southeast on land of John Hall; southwest on the wharf and dock. The wharf referred to was that of Major Jonathan the lot of land at the corner of Main and Swan streets, opposite the Central Fire Station, upon land purchased by Mr. Aaron Cleveland in the year 1717 of the Hon. John Usher. It was a part of Gov. Winthrop's Ten Hills Farm. As Mr. Cleveland was gMr. Cleveland was granted an innholder's license in the year 1720, this house must have been built prior to that date. Mr. Cleveland was the landlord of this tavern from the year 1720 to 1738, both inclusive. In the latter year he sold the estate to Colonel Isaac RoMr. Cleveland was the landlord of this tavern from the year 1720 to 1738, both inclusive. In the latter year he sold the estate to Colonel Isaac Royall, senior. After the death of Colonel Royall in the year 1739, his son, Colonel Isaac Royall, junior, came into possession of the property. From the year 1739 to 1743, both inclusive, the landlords of this tavern were Messrs. John Reed, Abraham
1 2