small opportunity to do all they would have been pleased to do; as it was, they furnished, in clothing and money, to the value of about one hundred dollars.
Incorporated July 8, 1671.
Population in 1860, 2,118; in 1865, 1,846.
Valuation in 1860, $1,369,721; in 1865, $1,035,467.
The selectmen in 1861 were Jeremiah Pease, John H. Pease, Nathaniel M. Jernegan; in 1862, David Davis, John H. Pease, Cornelius B. Marchant; in 1863, William Bradley, Cornelius B. Marchant, Tristram Cleveland; in 1864, Benjamin Davis, John Vinson, Joseph T. Pease; in 1865, David Davidson, Samuel Keniston, Jeremiah S. Weeks.
The town-clerk during each of the years of the war was Barnard C. Merchant.
The town-treasurer in 1861 was Daniel Fisher; in 1862, 1863, and 1864, John A. Baylies; in 1865, Isaiah D. Coffin.
We have not been able to obtain as full information from the town records, showing the action of the town during the war, as from the other towns.
We know, however, that gre