As we stand in the quadrangle facing the point of entry, we see another ancient brick building next to Harvard.
This is Hollis Hall, built in 1763 and named for the family of Thomas Hollis, a London merchant who left a legacy to the college.
Many noted names are associated with rooms in this building, among others being Ralph Waldo Emerson (5-15-20), Henry D. Thoreau (23-20-32-31) and Wendell Phillips (18-16-11).
Back of Hollis is Holden Chapel which was built in 1744 by Benjamin Coleman and named for another London family who befriended Harvard.
For twenty-two years prayers were held here, but now for many years the building has been used for examinations and for a few recitations.
The Holden coat-of-arms may still be seen on the western front, and a noteworthy fact about the building is that it stands to-day almost exactly as it was built so many years ago.
In the space enclosed by Holden, Hollis and Harvard stands the Class Day Tree, a fine old elm which has wit
em with their whole Desire; even the hidden Man of the Heart, in that which is not corruptible, the Ornament of a meek and quiet Spirit, which is in the Sight of God of great Price.
For Favour is deceitful, and Beauty is vain; but a Woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised—And such an one (with some additional Excellencies and Accomplishments) was Mrs. Jane Turell.
Born in Boston, New England, February 25, A. D. 1708, of Parents Honourable and Religious.
Her Father, the Reverend Dr. Benjamin Coleman (through the gracious Favour of God) is still living among us; one universally acknowledged to be even from his younger Times (at Home and Abroad) a bright Ornament and Honour to his Country, and an Instrument in God's Hand of bringing much good to it. Her Mother, Mrs. Jane Coleman, was a truly gracious Woman, Daughter of Mr. Thomas Clark, Gentleman. Referring again to The Early Ministers of Medford we find that Dr. Coleman was graduated from Harvard College in 1692, and for si