sed and expended during the years of the war for State aid to the soldiers' families, and which was afterwards repaid to them by the Commonwealth, was $155,457.38, making the aggregate $527,526.90.
The following is the war record of each town in the county:—
Incorporated June 21, 1765.
Population in 1860, 1,302; in 1865, 1,221.
Valuation in 1860, $606,201; in 1865, $854,719.
The selectmen in 1861 were Josephus Crafts, A. Howes, Lorenzo Wait; in 1862, Josephus Crafts, Moses Cook, Darius Williams; in 1863, Josephus Crafts, Nathan Knowlton, A. Howes; in 1864, Nathan Knowlton, A. Howes, Josiah Cross; in 1865, Alvan Hall, Frederick C. Howes, Josiah Cross.
The town-clerk during all the years of the war was Henry S. Ranney.
The town-treasurer in 1861 was George G. Hall; in 1862, 1863, 1864, and 1865, Nelson Gardner.
1861. The first legal town-meeting, to act upon matters relating to the war, was held on the 6th of May, at which it was voted to pay all inhabitants