river to Putnam Street. A committee reported in April, 1838, that a brick Almshouse had been constructed on the first mentioned lot, at an expense of $7,490.90; and the paupers were again placed in a comfortable habitation.
Within a few years afterwards, a desire was manifested to abandon this pleasant spot, which had attained a greatly increased marketable value, and to try the experiment of farming on a larger scale.
Accordingly the city purchased, Aug. 7, 1849, of Samuel Smith and Spencer Cook, for $12,000, about thirty-two acres of land, situated partly in the northwesterly corner of Cambridge and partly in the southwesterly corner of Somerville, and erected a stone Almshouse of the size and fashion then prevalent.
The cost of the whole establishment was reported by a committee to be,—for the land, $12,000; for the house, $32,970.69; for fences, furniture, etc., $3,000; total, $47,970.69. The house was formally placed in the custody of the Overseers of the Poor, April 3, 1851