Your search returned 17 results in 6 document sections:

amuel Frost, Jr.1 Solomon Prentice1 Joseph Locke1 William Cutter1 Lemuel Blanchard1 George Swan1 Lieut. Stephen Frost1 Stephen Cutter1 John Adams1 William Cutter1 Jeduthun Wellington1 Moses Hovey1 Benjamin Cooper1 Jonathan Robbins1 Seth Stone1 Capt. Samuel Carter1 Josiah Hall1 Thomas Adams, Jr.1 John Cutter, 3d1 Thomas Cutter1 Jonathan Perry1 John Locke1 Josiah Wilson1 James Frost1 John Stone1 Jonathan Locke1 John Cutter, Jr.1 Caleb Hovey1 Francis Locke, Jr.1 Ephraim Cooke1 Ammi Cutter1 William Adams, Jr1 James Locke1 Stephen Locke1 John Perry1 Ebenezer Robbins1 Joseph Shaw1 —— Black, 1122 Number of inhabitants on the South side of Charles River. Eliphalet Robbins5 Josiah Warren6 Seth Brown3 Caleb Child5 Coolidge Wood4 Benjamin Bake6 Widow Capen6 John Ellis3 Thaddeus Wyman4 Nehemiah Fuller5 Henry Coolidge2 Widow Hood2 Edward Jackson8 Widow Smith1 Lois Brown .2 John Wyman6 Jonathan Fessenden9 Nathaniel Sparhawk7 John De
posite the old upper schoolhouse, for turning and grinding edgetools, where his son Aaron Cutter had a mill previous to 1817. The privilege is now the property of Theodore Schwamb. In 1805 Abner Stearns, of Billerica, bought land here of Ephraim Cooke, victualler, which Stearns, in 1808, sold to John Tufts, with a wool-factory thereon and machinery, and established himself on the site since Schouler's. Tufts sold these premises to Ezra Trull, of Boston, in 1817, with a mill thereon, and a e also conveyed to Trull, at same time, land occupied as a millpond on Baptist meeting-house lane, being part of the land bounded south on Concord road, and south and west on Baptist meeting-house property and lane, which John Tufts bought of Ephraim Cooke in 1809. A lane or road led to the mills formerly known as the Tufts mills. The mills were destroyed by fire about 1831. Ezra Trull sold the premises to Cyrus Cutter, in 1831, with a mill-site thereon, where the mills formerly known by the
wan, Seth Wyman, John Hutchinson, Aaron Swan, Lemuel Blanchard, Benjamin Piper, Samuel Butterfield, Caleb Hovey, Philemon Russell. The fore seat in the side gallery: Messrs. Zechariah Hill, William Hill, Capt. Stephen Frost, Samuel Frost, Jr., Nathan Swan, Josiah Wilson, Jonathan Teel, Daniel Cutter, Solomon Prentice, George Prentice, John Frost, Jonathan Robbins, Samuel Cutter, Jr., Jason Belknap, Aaron Cooke, William Butterfield, Samuel Hill, Joseph Locke, Francis Locke, John Locke, Ephraim Cooke, William Cutter, Jr., Robert Mullit, John Symmes, Jr., John Dickson, Joseph Shaw, Abram Cooke, Robert Polly, Jeremiah Stuart, Joseph Wyman, Moses Hovey, Nathan Whittemore. Another enumeration of the inhabitants of the Precinct at this period is given in a Tax List for Menotomy, A. D. 1781, to procure Beef for the Continental Army: This List contains a State Tax set down in £. s. and d., and Also a Town Tax granted by the Inhabitants of said Town (Cambridge) at their meeting, July 9t
er; James Hill and John Tufts, fence-viewers; William Whittemore, Jr., Nathaniel Hill, George Prentiss, Jr., Miles Gardner, firewards; Samuel Butterfield, Jr., Ephraim Cooke, 3d, James Cutter, John Frost, Jr., and Benjamin Locke, hogreeves; William Hill, 3d, tythingman; Major Josiah Whittemore, poundkeeper; Eben Swan, William Cutt it was twenty-one years ago. Then you had troublesome times. You had been destitute of a minister almost five years, The church was gathered Sept. 9, and Rev. Mr. Cooke was ordained Sept. 12, 1739, and died June 4, 1783, in the seventy-fifth year of his age, and forty-fourth of his ministry. The number of baptisms during hisade the Turnpike company throw up that course, and take another at the Foot of the Rocks, near Lexington.—J. B. Russell. In 1809 Stephen Cutter, John Tufts, Ephraim Cooke, Israel Blackington's heirs, James Cutler, Aaron Cutter and Nathaniel Hill contested in court the Turnpike enterprise. The first location of the road was thro
de or manufacture carried on, most of the residents doing business in Boston. A small pamphlet, entitled A Short Account of the Location and Prospects of the New Village at Arlington Heights, showing its advantages as a home for people doing business in Boston, was published by the Arlington Land Company, No. 84 Washington St., Boston. The land in the last century belonged in part to the estate of Rev. Dr. Nathaniel Appleton, of Cambridge First Parish, Samuel and Francis Locke, and Ephraim Cooke, victualler. See sketch entitled Our Predecessors, in paper called Our Enterprise, published at Arlington Heights, April 10, 1878 A weekly newspaper, known as the Arlington Advocate, was established here in 1872. 1874 The town passed resolutions on the death of the Hon. Charles Sumner, March 18, 1874. 1875. The town made preparations, by appropriation and otherwise, for the celebration of the 19th of April, in this year, in conjunction with the Centennial Celebrations of th
's History of Woburn, p. 484. Soon after it was agreed, owing to increase of members there, that he should preach half the time in Woburn, and the name of the church was altered to the Cambridge and Woburn Baptist Church. The Woburn branch of the church gained more rapidly than the mother church; a new meeting-house was built in Woburn in 1794, and the organization became known solely as the Woburn Baptist Church. In 1790 the society here had purchased a spot five rods square of Ephraim Cooke, and erected a house of worship, now occupied as a dwelling-house, and situated at the east corner of Brattle Street. Here meetings were held more or less frequently as preaching could be obtained, and the parish organization was continued until greater encouragement offered. Stephen Cutter, by will dated March 4, 1816, left a legacy to the Society of $5,000, to be paid at the death of his wife Mary Cutter. She generously relinquished nearly one-half, eighteen years before the time, an