hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
The Cambridge of eighteen hundred and ninety-six: a picture of the city and its industries fifty years after its incorporation (ed. Arthur Gilman) 4 2 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 4 results in 3 document sections:

gure in the university, and a marked example of the school of college professors which once flourished in all American colleges,—professors whose elaborate lectures were characterized by literary skill and dominated by philosophy. This school is now fast passing away and giving place to one composed of men who are devoted to laboratory teaching. The professors of chemistry also, before 1840, taught mainly by lectures and text-books, and the university owes much to the labors of Professor Josiah Parsons Cooke, who developed the laboratory teaching of chemistry in Harvard College. The Scientific School, too, has done much for chemical science. It was there that Dr. Wolcott Gibbs trained a remarkable band of investigators who are now teaching their science in many universities. It will be seen from this rapid and incomplete enumeration of the scientific men who have given our city a reputation far beyond local limits, that the remarkable fountain of inspiration which shot up like
e signed by all the Instructors and will certify to the whole course. The ladies will see that the students secure suitable lodgings, and will assist them with advice and other friendly offices. Information as to the qualifications required, with the names of the Instructors in any branch, may be obtained upon application to any one of the ladies, or to their Secretary, Mr. Arthur Gilman, 5 Phillips Place. Mrs. Louis AgassizQuincy Street. Mrs. E. W. GurneyFayerweather Street. Mrs. J. P. CookeQuincy Street. Mrs. J. B. GreenoughAppian Way. Mrs. Arthur GilmanPhillips Place. Miss Alice M. LongfellowBrattle Street. Miss Lilian HorsfordCraigie Street. Cambridge, Mass., February 22, 1879. Other circulars followed, and in September the examinations for admission were held in a building numbered six on Appian Way, the family in which had with great generosity rented rooms for the purpose. The papers submitted to the candidates were the same that Harvard College used at t
ncord, college instruction at, 26. Confectionery, manufacture of, its beginning, 356; amount invested in, 358; number employed in, 358; raw material used in, 358. Congregational churches, 238, 239, 241. Congress. See Provincial Congress. Constitution, General Court proposes to frame a, 27; Cambridge opposes the movement, 27; submitted to the people, 28; rejected by Cambridge, 28. Constitutional convention, meets at Cambridge, 28. Continental Army on Cambridge Common, 49. Cooke, Prof. J. P., 76. Correctors of the press, 69. Cotton, John, 6, 7. Council of Assistants, 5, 23. County buildings, in East Cambridge, 30; exempt from taxation, 320. Court-house, site of, 5; used as a townhouse, 5; the new, 16; inadequate for town meetings, 31. Cox, James, publisher of the Cambridge Press, 221; the Nestor of Cambridge journalism, 222. Craigie Bridge, 29, 30. Craigie House (Longfellow House), 69. Cross Canal, 30. Dame schools, 189. Dana, Richard Henr