hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
The Cambridge of eighteen hundred and ninety-six: a picture of the city and its industries fifty years after its incorporation (ed. Arthur Gilman) 13 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 13 results in 5 document sections:

kment Company, near Harvard Bridge, was in process of construction. The inadequacy of these grounds was most evident. East Cambridge, for instance, with its fifty-five people to each inhabited acre, had not a single breathing-space. Consequently, so strongly was the need of persistent and lasting effort for the development of the park system felt by the city government, urged by Mayor Bancroft in his inaugural address, that in August of the following year, 1893, Rev. John O'Brien, George Howland Cox, and Henry D. Yerxa were appointed park commissioners, and since that time they have labored diligently to make Cambridge what all wish the city to be. Of course, the commission has been obliged to struggle with the difficulties of a city well on the road to a permanent form, not with the easier problem of laying out grounds with freedom of choice, as had been, of late, possible in some of our Western towns, organized by men from older cities,—men wise enough to see what the future bor
Cambridge clubs. George Howland Cox. Cambridge is famed for the many social clubs connected with the university and the town. Their purposes are varied, the musical, literary, scientific, and social tastes of its people are fully provided for. Among those organized for social purposes, the most unique, perhaps, is the colonial Club, which combines both town and gown; for the professor in the university and the business man of the city are included in its membership. This club was organer inducements to men who desire a place where club life can be found in its most dignified form. The officers are: J. J. Myers, president; Judge John W. Hammond, Richard H. Dana, Judge C. J. McIntire, Arthur E. Denison, vice-presidents; George Howland Cox, secretary; Edmund A. Whitman, treasurer. The Newtowne Club of North Cambridge had its origin in the Rindge Club, which was organized in December, 1893. The name Rindge was discarded the following year at the request of Mr. Rindge, and
Financial and manufacturing. George Howland Cox. Financial. Cambridge Bank. It was not until the year 1826 that Cambridge had any banking facilities of its own, although it had long been a wealthy town. In March of that year the Cambridge Bank was chartered. The first meeting of its stockholders was held in Ebenezer Kimball's tavern, March 22, 1826. William I. Whipple was elected moderator, and Thomas Foster clerk. The act incorporating the Cambridge Bank had been passed by the General Court, March 4, and at this meeting the charter was accepted. Subscriptions for the stock were opened, and a board of directors elected as follows: James P. Chaplin, William Hillard, Newell Bent, Levi Farwell, William Fiske, John Trowbridge, Charles Everett, Isaiah Bangs, and S. P. P. Fay. Judge Fay declined to serve, and at a later meeting, March 31, Asahel Stearns was elected in his place. The bank was capitalized at $150,000, and the stock was taken by residents of Boston, Natick,
-Works, Edwin C. Brooks. Assistant Superintendent of Water-Works, Charles B. Parker. Pumping Engineer, Edwin C. Brooks. Water Registrar, Walter H. Harding. Park Commissioners. Henry D. Yerxa, President. Rev. John O'Brien. George Howland Cox. General Superintendent of Parks, George R. Cook. trustees of Cambridge public Library. William Taggard Piper, President. Augustine J. Daly. William J. Rolfe. Thomas W. Higginson. Samuel L. Montague. Albert M. Barnes. Jabez. Saunders, Mr. Mason G. Parker, Hon. Leander M. Hannum, Mr. John H. Ponce, Mr. Edmund Reardon, Mr. John Hopewell, Jr., Mr. Theodore H. Raymond, Mr. Henry D. Yerxa, Dr. Charles Bullock, Mr. Otis S. Brown, Rev. David N. Beach, Mr. George Howland Cox, Col. Thomas W. Higginson, Hon. William B. Durant, Hon. William E. Russell, Mr. Edwin B. Hale, Mr. Edward B. James, Gen. Edgar R. Champlin, Rev. George W. Bicknell, Hon. John W. Coveney, Mr. Benjamin G. Hazel, Rev. Thomas Scully
es to frame a, 27; Cambridge opposes the movement, 27; submitted to the people, 28; rejected by Cambridge, 28. Constitutional convention, meets at Cambridge, 28. Continental Army on Cambridge Common, 49. Cooke, Prof. J. P., 76. Correctors of the press, 69. Cotton, John, 6, 7. Council of Assistants, 5, 23. County buildings, in East Cambridge, 30; exempt from taxation, 320. Court-house, site of, 5; used as a townhouse, 5; the new, 16; inadequate for town meetings, 31. Cox, James, publisher of the Cambridge Press, 221; the Nestor of Cambridge journalism, 222. Craigie Bridge, 29, 30. Craigie House (Longfellow House), 69. Cross Canal, 30. Dame schools, 189. Dana, Richard Henry, 35, 269. Dana Street, dividing line between Cambridgeport and Old Cambridge, 398. Danforth, Samuel, appointed mandamus councilor, 23; determines not to serve, 23. Danforth, Thomas, deputy-governor, 11; Benanuel Bowers's verses to, 12. Davenport, Charles, car-builder, 3