hide Matching Documents

Your search returned 71 results in 13 document sections:

1 2
William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 2, Chapter 10: Middlesex County. (search)
s, aldermen, city-clerk, and city-treasurer during the years of the war, were as follows: In 1861, James D. Green, mayor, who resigned on the 24th of July, and was succeeded by Charles Theodore Russell. The aldermen were Levi L. Cushing, Jr., Curtis Davis, Amory Houghton, Henry Lamson, Charles H. Saunders, Samuel Slocumb, Albert Stevens, James H. Thayer, Israel Tibbetts, Albert Vinal. In 1862, Charles Theodore Russell, mayor; Levi L. Cushing, Jr., Curtis Davis, Amory Houghton, Henry Lamson, CCurtis Davis, Amory Houghton, Henry Lamson, Charles H. Saunders, James H. Thayer, Israel Tibbetts, Hosea Jewell, J. Warren Merrill, Henry Whitney, Samuel W. Dudley, aldermen. In 1863, George C. Richardson, mayor; Henry Lamson, Albert Stevens, James H. Thayer, Israel Tibbetts, Hosea Jewell, Samuel W. Dudley, George H. Folger, Samuel James, Ezra Parmenter, John P. Putnam, aldermen. In 1864, Z. L. Raymond, mayor; Samuel W. Dudley, George H. Folger, Ezra Parmenter, George P. Carter, Charles F. Choate, John Livermore, Arthur Merrill, James R.
rd Hyde, Ira Stratton, Alexander Dickinson, Curtis Davis, Samuel James, and Martin L. Smith. The nuaggregate many million pounds per annum. Curtis Davis & Co. The establishment of the firm of CCurtis Davis & Co. dates back to the year 1835, Mr. Curtis Davis being its founder. In the year 1838Mr. Curtis Davis being its founder. In the year 1838 Mr. Davis entered into partnership with Mr. Alexander Dickinson, under the firm name of Davis & DicMr. Davis entered into partnership with Mr. Alexander Dickinson, under the firm name of Davis & Dickinson, with a capital of one thousand dollars. This partnership continued until 1851, and was dissDavis & Dickinson, with a capital of one thousand dollars. This partnership continued until 1851, and was dissolved in that year, Mr. Davis purchasing the site which is now occupied by the present firm. In Mr. Davis purchasing the site which is now occupied by the present firm. In 1864 Mr. Davis received his son-in-law James Mellen into partnership, under the firm name of CurtisMr. Davis received his son-in-law James Mellen into partnership, under the firm name of Curtis Davis & Co. At this time the works had a capacity of about three tons of soap per day, and employeCurtis Davis & Co. At this time the works had a capacity of about three tons of soap per day, and employed ten hands, with a weekly pay-roll of about one hundred dollars. Improved methods of manufacture wership was terminated in 1887 by the death of Mr. Davis. The business was continued under the old f
Hewitt, 341. Jennings & Welch, 341. F. L. Lamkin & Co., 341. G. B. Lenfest, 341. Lombard & Caustic, 341. Powell & Co., 341. C. H. Taylor & Co., 341. Louis F. Weston, 341. Edward W. Wheeler, 341. Publishing. Ginn & Co., 337-339. Houghton, Mifflin & Co., 334-336. Pumps. Geo. F. Blake Manufacturing Co., 353. Rubber goods. American Rubber Co., 381. Shoe blacking and Metal Polish. W. W. Reid Manufacturing Co., 395. Soap. Carr Brothers, 362. Curtis Davis & Co., 358. James C. Davis & Co., 359. C. L. Jones & Co., 361. Lysander Kemp & Sons, 360. Charles R. Teele, 362. Spring-Beds. Howe Spring-Bed Co., 393. New England Spring-Bed Co., 392. Stone work. William A. Bertsch, 389. Charles River Stone Co., 389. Connecticut Steam Stone Co., 389. Austin Ford & Son. 389. A. Higgins & Co., 389. John J. Horgan. 389. Alexander McDonald & Son, 388. R. J. Rutherford. 389. Union Marble and Granite Works, 389.
Lucius R. Paige, History of Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1630-1877, with a genealogical register, Key to the plan of Cambridge in 1635 . (search)
Rev. Samuel Stone. Vacant lot.Nathaniel Sparhawk. Vacant lot. 37Widow Isabel Sackett.Robert Stedman. 38Matthew Allen.Thomas Chesholme. 39Meeting-house.Meeting-house. 40Samuel Dudley.Robert Sanders. 41William Andrews.Hezekiah Usher. 42William Lewis.John Bridge. 43George Stocking.William Manning. 44Nicholas Olmstead. Vacant lot.John French. 45Joseph Reading.Joseph Cooke. 46Stephen Hart.Joseph Cooke. 47Nathaniel Richards.Joseph Cooke. 48William Westwood.John Betts. 49Dolor Davis. Vacant lot.Edward Mitchelson. 50John Bridge.William Andrews. 51Thomas Fisher.Edward Shepard. 52John Benjamin. Vacant lot.John Betts. Uncertain whether then occupied by a house or not. 53John Benjamin. Vacant lot.Edward Shepard. Vacant lot. 54John Benjamin. Vacant lot.Moses Payne. 55Thomas Dudley, Esq.Herbert Pelham, Esq. 56Matthew Allen. Uncertain whether then occupied by a house or not.William Cutter. 57Humphrey Vincent.John Moore. 58Daniel Patrick.Joseph Cook
Removed to Hartford. William Westwood. Removed to Hartford. John White. Removed to Hartford. 1634. Daniel Abbott. Removed to Providence. William Andrews. Removed to Hartford. John Arnold. Removed to Hartford. Guy Banbridge. Remained here. John Barnard. Removed to Hartford. Thomas Beale, Remained here. Christopher Cane. Remained here. Mrs. Chester. Removed to Hartford. Nicholas Clark. Removed to Hartford. Dolor Davis. Removed to Concord. Robert Day. Removed to Hartford. Joseph Easton. Removed to Hartford. Nathaniel Ely. Removed to Hartford. James Ensign. Removed to Hartford. Thomas Fisher. Removed to Dedham. Edmund Gearner. Perhaps the Edmund Gardner, who was in Ipswich, 1638. John Gibson. Remained here. Seth Grant. Removed to Hartford. Bartholomew Green. Remained here. Samuel Green. Remained here. Samuel Greenhill. Removed t
Lucius R. Paige, History of Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1630-1877, with a genealogical register, Chapter 15: ecclesiastical History. (search)
an in prayer, and eminent at standing in the gap; he was zealous for order, and faithful in asserting the truth against all oppugners of it. In a word, he was a man whom God had richly furnished and eminently fitted for his work; lived desired, and died lamented, by all good Christians that knew him. It pleased God upon the ninth of July, 1668, in a hot and burning season, (but much more hot in the heat of God's anger to New England,) to take him to rest and glory. New England's Memorial, Davis's ed., pp. 336, 337. For a more full biography, see Mather's Magnalia, Book IV., chap. IV.; and Sibley's Harvard Graduates, i. 141-157; and for the character of his theological labors and writings, see Rev. Mr. McKenzie's Historical Lectures. About eight years after his ordination, Mr. Mitchell commenced compiling an account of the Church of Christ at Cambridge, etc., in which he rescued many interesting facts from oblivion. The financial records of the church, kept by the deacons, wer
Child, Nathan. Carter, Nathan C. Clark, Hosea. Clark, Horace. Daley, David. Dana, Edmund T. Dana, Joseph. Dana, Joseph, Jr. Dana, Richard H. Dane, Joseph. Danforth, Otis. Dascomb, Daniel. Davenport, John. Davis, Asa. Davis, Eliphalet. Derby, Loring. Dickson, Edward. Ditson, Thomas. Dodge, John. Dowse, Thomas. Dudley, Ephraim. Dunbar, Alpheus. Dana, Francis W. Dudley, John. Ditson, William. Edwards, Abraham. EdwardsDavis, Eliphalet. Derby, Loring. Dickson, Edward. Ditson, Thomas. Dodge, John. Dowse, Thomas. Dudley, Ephraim. Dunbar, Alpheus. Dana, Francis W. Dudley, John. Ditson, William. Edwards, Abraham. Edwards, John. Emmet, William. Everett, Charles. Everett, William. Ellis, Benjamin. Fairfield, Barney. Farrington, Isaac. Far well, Levi. Faulkner, Francis E. Fay, Samuel P. P. Felsit, Harry. Fillebrown, Richard. Fisher, Jabez. Fisk, Nathan. Fisk, Rufus. Fisk, William. Fogg, Ebenezer. Ford, Jonathan W. Ford, Simeon. Foster, John. Foster, Joseph. Foster, Thomas. Freeman, John. Frost James. Frost, James, 2d. Frost, William. Fu
, 1865, 1866. George P. Carter, 1865, 1866. Isaac S. Morse, 1866. Richard H. Dana, Jr., 1867, 1868. John S. March, 1867. Anson P. Hooker, 1867, 1868. Curtis Davis, 1868, 1870, 1874. John McDuffie, 1868, 1871, 1872. Asa P. Morse, 1869, 1873. James R. Morse, 1869, 1870. Charles A. Fiske, 1869. Martin L. Smith, 186C. Kenney, 1859. Lewis Hall, 1860. Samuel Slocomb, 1860, 1861. Albert Vinal, 1860, 1861. Andrew S. Waitt, 1860. Levi L. Cushing, Jr., 1861, 1862. Curtis Davis, 1861, 1862, 1873. Amory Houghton, 1861, 1862. Henry Lamson, 1861-1363. Charles H. Saunders, 1861, 1862. Albert Stevens, 1861, 1863. James H. Thay56 Joel Robinson, 1855. George S. Saunders, 1855-1857, 1863, 1864. Nathaniel N. Stickney, 1855. William W. Bullock, 1856. Chester N. Clark, 1856-1858. Curtis Davis, 1856-1858. Hervey Davis, 1856, 1857. John H. Fellows, 1856-1858. N. St. John Green, 1856. Michael C. Kenney, 1856-1858. William Page, 1856, 1857.
ld the original homestead, 4 May 1711, to Jacob Hill. Samuel the f. was a glover, and d. 20 Mar. 1709-10. Girling, or Gurling, Richard, a mariner, 25 Aug. 1635, bought 100 acres of Simon Willard, 75 acres of John Bridge, and 25 acres of Dolor Davis. all on the south side of the River, at or near the present S. W. corner of Brighton District. He d. shortly afterwards. Under date of 19 Sept. 1637, the General Court ordered, that Mr. Joseph Weld and Mr. John Benjamin (being authorized), shos also connected with the military department. The General Court ordered, Mar. 1647-8, that John Stedman, having been Ensign of the Company at Cambridge about six years, is freed from serving as a common soldier there. He served as Cornet of Capt. Davis's Troop, in the expedition against Ninigret 1654; and was one of the Committee of the Militia for Cambridge 5 Mar. 1676-7, holding the rank of Quartermaster (unless John (3) was the person named in the Record). He d. full of years 16 Dec. 1693
ved him. His children were, Sarah, b. 30 Mar. 1670, m. John Stedman 9 Ap. 1691, and d. 1 July 1754; Martha, b. 12 Dec. 1671, m.——--Rolfe; Samuel, b. 6 May and d. 14 Sept. 1676; Samuel, b. 2 Oct. 1690; Elizabeth, b.——, who, with her mother Abigail, sold the original homestead, 4 May 1711, to Jacob Hill. Samuel the f. was a glover, and d. 20 Mar. 1709-10. Girling, or Gurling, Richard, a mariner, 25 Aug. 1635, bought 100 acres of Simon Willard, 75 acres of John Bridge, and 25 acres of Dolor Davis. all on the south side of the River, at or near the present S. W. corner of Brighton District. He d. shortly afterwards. Under date of 19 Sept. 1637, the General Court ordered, that Mr. Joseph Weld and Mr. John Benjamin (being authorized), should make sale of Mr. Gurling's land, for satisfaction of the creditors, in proportion if it came short, and if an overplus be, that to remain in the hands of Mr. Benjamin. The land was accordingly sold to William Andrew, and the sale confirmed by t
1 2