hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 9. (ed. Frank Moore) 17 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 9. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for C. A. Duncan or search for C. A. Duncan in all documents.

Your search returned 9 results in 3 document sections:

he Fort, and our signal was answered. As soon as I saw our colors fairly planted upon the walls of McAllister, in company with General Howard, I went in a small boat down to the Fort, and met General Hazen, who had not yet communicated with the gunboat below, as it was shut out to him by a point of timber. Determined to communicate that night, [ got another small boat and a crew, and pulled down the river till I found the tug Dandelion, Captain Williamson, U. S.N., who informed me that Captain Duncan, who had been sent by General Howard, had succeeded in reaching Admiral Dahlgren and General Foster, and that he was expecting them hourly in Ossabaw Sound. After making communications to those officers, and a short communication to the War Department, I returned to Fort McAllister that night, and before daylight was overtaken by Major Strong, of General Foster's staff, advising me that General Foster had arrived in the Ogeechee, near Fort McAllister, and was very anxious to meet me on
me down from the Tullifinney yesterday in order to be at hand. I had not to wait many hours. This morning, about eight o'clock, the Dandelion arrived with Captain Duncan and two scouts, Sergeant Myron J. Emmick and George W. Quinby, bearing the following lines from General Howard: headquarters Department of army of Tennenah, Ga.: Sir: We have met with perfect success thus far. Troops in fine spirits and near by. Respectfully, O. O. Howard, Major-General Commanding. Captain Duncan states that our forces were in contact with the rebels a few miles outside of Savannah. He says they are not in want of any thing. Perhaps no event could tates Government on its occurrence. It may perhaps be exceeding my province, but I cannot refrain from expressing the hope that the department will commend Captain Duncan and his companion to the Honorable Secretary of War, for some mark of approbation for the success in establishing communications between General Sherman and t
ade at first for the lower ford, which I supposed was the only one leading into the town. Lieutenant Duncan, of the Thirty-seventh, perceiving the enemy crossing at an upper ford, promptly detached nt, Colonel Fulkerson, was in front, and captured most of the prisoners. Captain Wood and Lieutenant Duncan, of that regiment, rendered remarkable service, and Sergeant Samuel L. Gray, company D, Th servant, John F. Neff, Colonel Commanding Thirty-third Virginia Infantry. Report of Colonel C. A. Duncan. headquarters Fourth regiment Virginia volunteers, June 13, 1862. Captain O'Brien, Aal to any emergency. Strength, rank and file, three hundred and seventeen. Respectfully, C. A. Duncan, Colonel Fourth Virginia Volunteers. P. S.--The following privates were wounded on Monday, the ninth: Edward Haller, L. J. Cox, and J. B. Major, company H. C. A. Duncan, Colonel. Report of Colonel Grigsby. camp near Port Republic, Va., June 15, 1862. Captain. John F. O'Brien