own for State aid to the families of soldiers during the war, and which was afterwards repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $163.86; in 1862, $766.53; in 1863, $1,192.66; in 1864, $1,426.27; in 1865, $676.64. Total amount, $4,125.96.
Incorporated March 16, 1785.
Population in 1860, 639; in 1865, 579.
Valuation in 1860, $246,739; in 1865, $239,097.
The selectmen during all the years of the war were Levi N. Campbell, Merritt Torrey, Samuel W. Lincoln, Albert Dyer, Merritt Jones, and Joseph Sears.
The town-clerk and town-treasurer during the same period was Freeman Hamlin.
There does not appear to have been any meeting held by the town during the year 1861 to consider matters relating to the war. Two meetings were held in July and August, 1862, and it was voted to pay a bounty of one hundred dollars to each volunteer who would enlist to fill the quota of the town.
The immediate effect of which was that three persons enlisted for three years,