nt of money paid by the town during the war for State aid to soldiers' families, and repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $4,044.35; in 1862, $10,252.60; in 1863, $13,489.72; in 1864, $15,292.00; in 1865, $11,000.00. Total amount, $54,078.67.
Incorporated March 21, 1711.
Population in 1860, 1,524; in 1865, 1,488.
Valuation in 1860, $606,200; in 1865, $575,993.
The selectmen during 1861, and all through the war, were William H. H. Bryant, Isaac T. Loring, Henry Dyer.
The town-clerk during the same period was F. Collamore.
The town-treasurer in 1861, 1862, 1863, and 1864 was Josiah O. Bonney; in 1865, Seth Whitman.
1861. A legal town meeting was held May 3d, at which it was voted to reduce the sum voted at the April meeting for school purposes, two hundred dollars, and to appropriate the same for aid to soldiers' families; also, to pay to each volunteer from that town twenty-five dollars a month, including the Government pay, while in the milita