s of bedding, shirts, drawers, bandages, and hospital supplies, sent to our wounded heroes, proved well their sympathy in our struggle for national life; and many a poor wounded soldier blessed the unknown giver, as he shared in those comforts our ladies knew so well how to supply.
Incorporated June 21, 1765.
Population in 1860, 1,578; in 1865, 1,393.
Valuation in 1860, $431,652; in 1865, $478,120.
The selectmen in 1861 and 1862 were Stephen W. Carter, Milton Barnes, Almeron Edwards; in 1863 and 1864, Timothy F. Snow, Stephen W. Carter, James N. Cross; in 1865, Stephen W. Carter, Miner Chaffee, Nathan W. Harris.
The town-clerk during all the years of the war was Mark P. Carter.
The town-treasurer in 1861 and 1862 was Nathan W. Harris; in 1863, 1864, and 1865, Mark P. Carter.
1861. The first legal town-meeting, to act upon matters relating to the war, was held on the 7th of May; at which it was voted to appropriate two thousand dollars, for the benefit of vol