, the Dudley street section and Hillside were thinly settled portions.
No public conveyance existed between them.
The Unitarian and Protestant Episcopal Churches were the nearest to the western section, the two Congregational were considering union of forces under one roof, and the Methodist and Baptist were to build new churches still farther removed.
At intervals a Methodist class meeting had been held at Mrs. Hawley's on Prescott street, beginning in 1864, under the leadership of Jacob Emerson, and connected with the Medford church.
There had been organized the Mystic Sabbath School by the efforts of a mothers' meeting, and several of the mothers were Methodists.
This took its name from Mystic Hall, where it was held.
This school was undenominational, and as an outgrowth of it the villagers of the west end began a Sunday preaching service, securing the services of Rev. Melville B. Chapman, then a student in the School of Theology in Boston.
Prior to 1870 the western se