n under-shirts, 447 handkerchiefs, 24 boxes of delicacies, 225 napkins, 65 pillows for wounded limbs, &c.
Incorporated June 11, 1813.
Population in 1860, 3,296; in 1865, 3,780.
Valuation in 1860, $1,395,538; in 1865, $1,392,456.
The selectmen in 1861 were T. B. Poland, Jona.
E. Waters, D. T. March; in 1862, Jona.
E. Waters, David T. March, Horace Armsby; in 1863, Jona.
E. Waters, Charles D. Morse, T. B. E. Pope; in 1864, J. E. Waters, Hosea Crane, Chester Hastings, Jason Emerson, Rufus Carter; in 1865, Jona.
E. Waters, Ira N. Goddard, Rufus Carter.
The town-clerk during all these years was Ira A. Goddard.
The town-treasurer for the same time was David Atwood.
1861. The first meeting to consider matters relating to the war was held May 7th, at which it was voted that a committee of seven be appointed to furnish such persons as shall enlist in the military service in that town with any thing which in the opinion of the committee may be necessary for their