hide Matching Documents

Your search returned 11 results in 3 document sections:

f the force he would encounter upon the opposite bank, the crossing could not be attempted. General Steele arrived the same evening, with General Rice's and Colonel Engleman's infantry divisions. An examination of the ford led Generals Davidson and Steele to hesitate about trusting their batteries in the treacherous quicksands ot of the burning steamboats, where the road approaches close to the river, the cloud of dust rising from the road revealed their locality. Our longrange guns in Engleman's batteries opened upon them with shell, and kept up a vigorous fire as long as they were in range. The firing at that time appeared to be very accurate, as manieved to contain a large number of sharp-shooters. After a few minutes' brisk firing, the Fortieth Iowa and Twenty-seventh Wisconsin, of Colonel Wood's brigade, Engleman's infantry division, rushed across the bridge, formed in line of battle upon the sand-bar, and swept forward upon the double-quick to the woods, which were reach
same time, Shelby attacked the rear of the army, under command of Brigadier-General Rice, near the crossing of the Terre Noir. The enemy attacked with great bravery, and were repulsed with heavy loss. On the third of April, the entire command crossed the Little Red River at Elkins's Ferry, and so well planned had been the movement, and so promptly executed, that it was not until the evening of that day, and by accident, that the enemy learned that the army had crossed. On this day, Colonel Engleman's brigade had a serious engagement at Okolona, and soundly thrashed the enemy. On the succeeding day, Marmaduke and Cabell, with a force of four or five thousand men, made a furious attack, but were easily driven off, our army capturing, among other prisoners, two lieutenants, one of them a member of Marmaduke's staff. The army remained here a day or two, waiting for General Thayer to come up, who had been obliged to come by a different route from the one originally intended, on accou
twelve M. on the ensuing day, the nineteenth, the enemy were reported actually but two miles from Jackson. Gen. Sullivan ordered out the Forty-third Illinois, Col. Engleman, to go to the front and do what they could to harass the confederates. The command was obeyed. Engleman ambuscaded his regiment and waited Forrest's approachEngleman ambuscaded his regiment and waited Forrest's approach. As the rebel advance came in, a volley was fired upon them; several were killed outright, some wounded and three taken prisoners. In this rencontre our loss was one killed and five wounded. At two P. M. on that day Col. Fuller, with his brigade of about five thousand men, arrived at Jackson, from Oxford, forwarded by order of General Grant. Undoubtedly well informed as to the Federal strength at Jackson, and as correctly posted as to the arrival of reenforcements, harassed by Engleman, and fearing to attack, Forrest commenced throwing shell into the town, hoping to destroy it. During this bombardment, which apparently caused little damage, Generals S