society, was presented with a handsome silver goblet.
Incorporated July 21, 1683.
Population in 1860, 1,521; in 1865, 1,484.
Valuation in 1860, $802,214; in 1865, $706,117.
The selectmen in 1861 were John D. Wilson, James Precket, Paul M. Barnes; in 1862, John D. Wilson, Granville S. Allen, Edmund D. Hathaway; in 1863, John D. Wilson, Edmund D. Hathaway, Elijah D. Chase; in 1864, John D. Wilson, Elijah D. Chase, John W. Peabody; in 1865, John D. Wilson, Ruel Washburn, Philip Evans.
The town-clerk in 1861 and 1862 was Silas P. Richmond; in 1863, George W. Hall; in 1864 and 1865, Don. C. H. Hathaway.
The town-treasurer in 1861 was John D. Wilson; in 1862, 1863, and 1864, James Burr; in 1865, Guilford Hathaway.
1861. The first legal town-meeting, to act upon matters connected with the war, was held on the 9th of May, at which one thousand dollars were appropriated to assist the families of volunteers living in the town; and John H. Macomber, Thomas Leeburn, and