hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 27. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 31 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 31 results in 6 document sections:

Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 27. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), chapter 1.6 (search)
ysburg. In support of this charge, Early referred to a conference held by Lee, Ewell, Rodes and Early, late in the afternoon of July 1, 1863, and declared that Lee r the close of the battle of July 1st; he expressed the opinion that Stuart and Ewell were not responsible for the loss of the field, and reiterated, as his final co troops set forth from camp only after sunrise, were detained to some extent by Ewell's wagon train, and the head of the column reached Seminary Ridge when the sun w to show that Lee then rode away through the town of Gettysburg to consult with Ewell about the co-operation of the left wing with the right wing, which he had just ordered forward to the attack. At Ewell's headquarters Lee waited to hear Longstreet's guns. At noon he rode from beyond Gettysburg to Seminary Ridge to seek Longse improvident use of the same prerogative on the part of Stuart, A. P. Hill and Ewell, combined together to inscribe Gettysburg in the annals of the Southern Confede
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 27. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), chapter 1.23 (search)
division and Stafford's brigade, and Jackson's force now consists of Jackson's, Ewell's and A. P. Hill's division and Stafford's brigade. We marched early towards tn his place. Pope's stand. Next morning, August 9th, we resume the march, Ewell's division in front, about 1 o'clock we hear the boom of a cannon in our front resume the march and are hurried up, after going a short distance we find that Ewell's division has filed to the right of the road, we, however, keep the road and oulpeper Courthouse. Was not mad. We now enter the woods west of the road; Ewell's division had gone to the east of the road some time ago. We continue the marcwhole line now advances, and the enemy are in full retreat. We can plainly see Ewell with a part of his division on Slaughter mountain, way off on the right of our adier-General Taliaferro, of the Third brigade, and Brigadier-General Early, of Ewell's division, says in his report that his attention was directed especially in th
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 27. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), Gettysburg. (search)
ion, Wilcox engaged three or four regiments of the enemy posted in a wood on our right, but after a fight of ten or fifteen minutes, the 9th Alabama drove them back, and we received orders to hold our position, without pressing the enemy, until Longstreet could come into position on our right. He came into position and engaged the enemy about 3 P. M., our line being similar to the one formed in the rear of Fredericksburg after the Chancellorsville fight—that is, Longstreet on the right, and Ewell on the left, almost confronting each other, and forming nearly a right angle, with Hill in the centre; we received orders to conform our lines to Longstreet's movements and advance with him. About 4:30 P. M., Longstreet having advanced to Wilcox, he swung his right forward and advanced. As soon as his left reached my right, I conformed to the movement, and advanced at double-quick upon the strongly fortified position in front, exposed to artillery and musketry fire from the start. Our men
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 27. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), Colonel John Bowie Magruder. (search)
litary tactics. On his return home, he organized a military company, called the Rivanna Guards; was elected and commissioned captain July 22, 1861. The gray cloth for their uniforms was furnished by the county, and the ladies of the three families at Glenmore, Edge Hill, and Gale Hill made them. The Rivanna Guards, under Special Order No. 276, Adjutant and Inspector-General's Office, Richmond, Va., dated September 12, 1861, was assigned to the 32d Virginia regiment infantry, Colonel B. Stoddert Ewell, commanding; and on the 23d day of September, 1861, it was transferred to the 57th Virginia regiment, constituted by Special Orde'r No. 285, under command of Major E. F. Keen, and designated as Company H. Colonel Lewis A. Armistead was subsequently assigned to its command, and on February 14, 1862, ordered to report to General Huger at Suffolk, Va. Colonel Armistead continued in command of the 57th Virginia regiment until April, 1862, when he was promoted to brigadier-general.
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 27. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), chapter 1.35 (search)
f artillery on the plateau north of the Rappahannock, and known as Stafford Heights, from which he could look down upon the historic town of Fredericksburg, which trembled in expectancy of destruction between these two powerful contending foes. Burnside was confident. While awaiting the development of Burnside's movements and watching the ways by which he might move to Richmond, Lee sent D. H. Hill's division of Jackson's corps to, watch the crossing of the Rappahannock at Port Royal. Ewell's division, now commanded by Early, was in camp next to D. H. Hill's division, while the divisions of A. P. Hill and Taliaferro were placed near the railroad leading from Richmond, where they could move either to the aid of D. H. Hill or Longstreet, as the exigences of the occasion might demand. Jackson established himself near Guiney's Station, on a road which led both to A. P. Hill's headquarters and to the headquarters of General R. E. Lee—the latter being established on the old Telegrap
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 27. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), chapter 1.46 (search)
nd lines, confronted and threatened as that army was, by such odds, and hampered by abundant lack of even food to sustain physical life. What these numerical odds were, is shown by the figures of official returns, as published in this volume; but neither figures nor description can represent other differences arising from our deplorable inferiority in supplies and equipment. What this meant and entailed can never be adequately known but by those who endured the toils of that retreat. General Ewell says in his report, when accounting for the absence of over 3,000 of his men at the time of his surrender, that it was caused mainly by the fatigue of four days and nights almost constant marching, the last two days with nothing to eat. Before our capture I saw men eating raw fresh meat as they marched in ranks. The memory of many others can verify or liken this experience. On the other hand, by way of contrast, here is a report (p. 1234) of a division commissary of the 25th corps of G