and finally by J. T. Foster.
In 1847 Isaac Hall built one vessel here.
2. Yard on Riverside avenue, opposite the end of Park street. Established in 1803 by Thatcher Magoun; afterwards used by Curtis & Co., Paul & J. O. Curtis, F. Waterman & H. Ewell, and Hayden & Cudworth.
3. Yard on Riverside avenue, opposite end of Cross street. Occupied in 1805 by Calvin Turner & E. Briggs, and at successive periods by Calvin Turner, E. & H. Rogers, G. B. Lapham, and S. Lapham.
4. Yard off Swan strprague & James66
E. & H. Rogers9
Curtis & Co.2
P. & J. O. Curtis6
Waterman & Ewell51
Foster & Taylor22
James O. Curtis78
George H. Briggs1
Joshua T. Foster42
Haydn & Cudworth39
B. F. Delano .2
ntinued building at East Boston.
In all, his list of vessels reached a hundred.
Waterman and Ewell succeeded Paul & J. O. Curtis at Magoun's yard.
Mr. Foster Waterman was born in Barnstable, Junce he came to Medford and lived in the house of Oakman Joyce.
He formed a partnership with Mr. Henry Ewell.
They built here fifty-one vessels.
He died at Nantasket beach at his summer residence, July 22, 1870.
His daughter is Mrs. R. H. Stearns, of Boston.
His partner, Mr. Henry Ewell, born at Marshfield, Dec. 31, 1806, was apprenticed to Thatcher Magoun at the age of seventeen.
The house the corner of Pleasant street and Riverside avenue now occupied by Mrs. Cudworth was built for Mr. Ewell and afterward sold to Mr. William Cudworth.
On giving up business in Medford Mr. Ewell went tMr. Ewell went to Quincy and then to East Boston, continuing in the same business.
From 1831 to 1860 many of the houses on Ship street were built by Mr. Oakman Joyce, who came to Medford with his brother Samuel