Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for Fairfax or search for Fairfax in all documents.

Your search returned 7 results in 6 document sections:

ts of his wagon than was supposed, and quickly drew from its secret recesses ample evidence of the guilt of some one. The vehicle had a false floor, and as the police quietly removed it the accused exclaimed, My God, I am a ruined man. The articles found embraced among other things some twenty large-size navy revolvers of superior quality, a quantity of gold lace, red flannel, and a package of about one hundred and twenty letters, addressed to parties in Petersburg, Richmond, Norfolk, and Fairfax, some from several first-class business houses in Baltimore. The letters and other articles were sent to Gen. Dix, at Fort McHenry.--Baltimore American, September 9. G. L. Bowne, of Key West, Fla., was arrested at Cooperstown, N. Y., on a charge of treason. A large number of letters were found on him from the South, as also other papers of an important character. After the arrest an effort was made to rescne the prisoner by about one hundred of his friends. The resolute behavior
of Missouri and the Commissioners of the Confederate States. Congress unanimously ratified the convention entered into between the Hon. R. M. T. Hunter, for the rebel Government, and the Commissioners for Missouri.--Richmond Dispatch. A banquet was given to Capt. Wilkes and the officers of the San Jacinto, at the Revere House, in Boston, Mass. Capt. Wilkes made a brief speech, recounting the incidents of the cruise after the rebel Commissioners, and he was followed by Gov. Andrew, Lieut. Fairfax, Chief-Justice Bigelow, and others. The Nashville (Tenn.) Courier of this date says: We learn that a squad of twelve men were sent to Franklin yesterday, to arrest some Lincolnites who were said to be committing depredations in that neighborhood. They had collected to the number of twelve or fifteen at the house of one of their number, one Bell; and defying, the party fired at them, killing one man, said to be Lee, of Louisville, and wounding one or two more. Our men then charged
as the glittering hosts who stand upon her borfor her defence. --(Doc. 203.) At Boston, Mass., an interesting ceremony occurred on board the U. S. steamer San Jacinto, when the crew of that vessel presented a handsome silver goblet to Lieutenant Fairfax. The goblet was beautifully engraved with national, military, and naval devices, one design representing the meeting of the San Jacinto and the Trent. It bore the inscription, Presented to Lieut. Fairfax, by the crew of the San Jacinto, aLieut. Fairfax, by the crew of the San Jacinto, as a slight token of their esteem and love. The presentation speech was made by Rev. Phineas Stowe.--Boston Herald, Dec. 2. Colonel D. Leadbetter, of the C. S. A., issued a proclamation at Greenville, East Tennessee, to-day, addressed to the Citizens of East Tennessee. He tells the loyal people of that section that so long as the question of Union or disunion was debatable, they had a right to vote on the subject, but when secession was established by the voice of the people, it became the
December 18. Three companies of the Cameron Dragoons, under Major S. E. Smith, commanded respectively by Capt. Wilson, Company F; Lieut. Stetson, Company H; and Lieut. Hess, Company C, went on a scout on the roads leading to Fairfax Court House and Hunter's Mills, Va. When within a mile and a half of Fairfax, these tree officers, with eight privates, as an advance guard, encountered an equal number of the rebel cavalry. Instantly they gave chase, but the rebels fled, seeking the cover of a wood near by. In the chase they passed through an orchard, when one of the rebels dismounted under an apple tree, and, with his carbine, a five-shooter, rested against a tree and fired three shots at Major Smith. Fortunately none of them took effect. After vainly endeavoring to draw the rebels from the wood, the party rejoined the main body under the direction of the major, and rode to Vienna, and thence to Hunter's Mills. When near the latter place, Capt. Wilson and Lieut. Stetson discov
July 13. The railroad bridge over the Rapidan River, at Rapidan Station, Va., was destroyed by a party of Union troops under the command of Major James M. Deems. On proceeding towards the bridge, and when about six miles from Fairfax, they were fired upon by a force of the enemy, and a sharp skirmish ensued, resulting in the defeat of the rebels, who were driven for a distance of ten miles. On arriving at the bridge, another party of rebels were encountered, who, after a short fight, were dispersed. Besides destroying the bridge, the Unionists cut the telegraph wire and destroyed the battery at the station.--(Doc. 149.) A party of rebel guerrillas entered Memphis, Mo., captured the militia troops stationed there, drove out the Union men, and robbed the stores. Great excitement existed in Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green, Danville, Frankfort, Covington, and other towns in Kentucky, in anticipation of a visit from the rebel guerrillas under John Morgan. In order
large force was being gathered together by Gen. Wallace with which to meet the enemy should he make his appearance. The Thirty-sixth regiment of Massachusetts volunteers, under the command of Colonel Henry Bowman, left Worcester for the seat of war.--The rebel sloop John Thompson, was captured by the United States bark Restless, Lieut. Edward Conroy commanding. This morning at four o'clock a train of one hundred wagons, with commissary stores, was intercepted by the rebels between Fairfax and Centreville, Va., and driven off toward Manassas before the party could be overtaken. They secured the entire train. So soon as this raid in the rear of the National army at Centreville was known, the necessity of guarding that direction became apparent, and at noon the whole army of Virginia abandoned Centreville, and massed northeast of Fairfax Court-House. At noon they again took up the line of march, and this evening the advance was in sight of Munson's Hill. The enemy's cavalry