Browsing named entities in John Bell Hood., Advance and Retreat: Personal Experiences in the United States and Confederate Armies. You can also browse the collection for Kinloch Falconer or search for Kinloch Falconer in all documents.

Your search returned 15 results in 5 document sections:

d for the truth of these assertions to Major Kinloch Falconer, Assistant Adjutant General, by whom tquest, made in consequence of this attack, Major Falconer made another statement from the data in hi his campaign. According to the return of Major Falconer, his own Adjutant General, Johnston's Nneral Johnston reports, in accordance with Major Falconer's statement, on the 1st of May, and previo engaged in any one battle. The return of Major Falconer, I presume, is correct so far as it gives south of Resaca on the 1st of May, and Major Kinloch Falconer states in his official report : Johbivouac at Lovejoy Station, I sent for Major Kinloch Falconer, who was at that time one of my Assist on or about the 10th September, 1864, Major Kinloch Falconer, Assistant Adjutant General, Army of Tabout the 10th day of September, 1864, Major Kinloch Falconer, late Assistant Adjutant General, Army loss of time, and considerable cost. Major Kinloch Falconer was severely wounded while experimenti
ust 1st, after the engagements of Peach Tree creek, on the 21st, and around Atlanta, on the 22d and 28th July. 7. The foregoing figures are taken from the official records kept by me as assistant adjutant general of the Army. (Signed) Kinloch Falconer, Assistant Adjutant General. I here reiterate that it is impossible General Johnston should have turned over to me fifty thousand six hundred and twenty-seven (50,627) effectives on the 18th of July (as shown in Colonel Falconer's repoColonel Falconer's report), for the reason that he had this number in full on the 10th of that month. When, according to this same report, we suffered a loss, over and above the killed and wounded, of four thousand and seventy-three (4073) men who abandoned their colors, and went either to their homes or to the enemy just prior to the retreat across the Chattahoochee river, it is not reasonable to assume that no desertions occurred from the 10th of July--the date of his last return — to the 18th, when a change of com
which, in the first instance, was refused, but was finally acceded to at 4 p. m. The garrison consisted of about one thousand (1000) men. As the road between Resaca and Tunnel Hill had been effectually destroyed, the Army was put in motion the next morning in the direction of Gadsden, and camped that night near Villanon. Whilst in front of Dalton, quite a spirited affair occurred at Mill Creek Gap, where a detachment of our troops attacked and gained possession of a block house. Major Kinloch Falconer, of my staff, was during this assault seriously wounded. On the morning of the 15th, I sent from Van Wert the following dispatch to the Honorable J. A. Seddon, Secretary of War, Generals Bragg and Beauregard: [no. 500.] Van Wert, October 15th. This Army struck the communications of the enemy about a mile above Resaca (the 12th), completely destroying the railroad, including block houses from that point to within a short distance of Tunnel Hill; and about four miles of t
uch manner as to bring victory to our people, and, at the same time, repeated my desire to be relieved. The President finally complied with my request, and I bid farewell to the Army of Tennessee on the 23d of January, 1865, after having served with it somewhat in excess of eleven months, and having performed my duties to the utmost of my ability. At the time I assumed command around Atlanta, a number of General Johnston's staff officers remained with me, among whom were Colonels Mason, Falconer and Harvie, Majors Henry and Clare, who, notwithstanding the extraordinary circumstances under which I had superseded their old commanding officer, ably discharged their various duties with zeal and strict fidelity. After leaving Tupelo, I returned to Virginia and found President Davis still most anxious to procure reinforcements from the Trans-Mississippi Department. He consulted fully with General Lee in regard to this important matter, and, after a sojourn of several weeks in Richmon
including prisoners, during the entire campaign do not exceed ten thousand (10,000) men. Were I again placed in such circumstances, I should make the same marches and fight the same battles, trusting that the same unforeseen and unavoidable accident would not again occur to change into disaster a victory which had been already won. In support of the statement touching the strength and losses of the Army, I respectfully tender the official records of the assistant adjutant general (Major Kinloch Falconer) alike on duty with General Johnston and myself. Those who have seen much service in the field during this war will at once understand why it was that desertion, which had been so frequent on the retreat from Dalton to Atlanta, almost entirely ceased as soon as the Army assumed the offensive and took a step forward. I did not know of a desertion on the march from Palmetto to Dalton, or from Dalton to Florence. I am informed that the provost marshal general of the Army of Tenness