and expended by the town for State aid to the families of volunteers during the four years of the war, and which was afterwards reimbursed by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $40; in 1862, $402.60; in 1863, $975; in 1864, $600.27; in 1865, $300.51. Total amount, $2,328.38.
Incorporated June 30, 1761.
Population in 1860, 3,871; in 1865, 3,920.
Valuation in 1860, $1,843,798; in 1865, $2,177,071.
The selectmen in 1861 and 1862 were Walter W. Hollensbeck, Henry Foote, John Burgherst; in 1863, John M. Seeley, George Church, B. F. Gilmore; in 1864 and 1865, John M. Seeley, George Church, Charles J. Taylor.
The town-clerk during all the years of the war, and for many years previous thereto, was Isaac Seeley.
The town-treasurer in 1861, 1862, 1863, 1864, and 1865, was Egbert Hollister.
1861. On the 22d of April, three days after the Sixth Massachusetts Regiment had been attacked in Baltimore, and the first blood had been shed in the Rebellion, a ca