ive the omission of the railroad, which lies between them.
In this, also, the physical department is in evidence in Canal street—the young ladies with their instructor at the rear, but they don't all ride that way now.
One thing the artist did not show—it was not very prominent—the stone set in the brick wall under the second story middle window.
In it is cut 1812, the date of the building's erection by the town as its almshouse.
Old pictures, even if crude, are worth saving.
Jim Franklin, Ben's big brother by Rev. Anson Titus.
[Read at a meeting of the Medford Historical Society, May 21, 1923.]
In 1718 James Franklin sailed for London and secured type and printing press and immediately began the printing of pamphlets and books; and soon became the printer of the Boston Gazette, the official paper of the province.
In 1721 Franklin established the New England Courant. The Courant began in the midst of one of the greatest small pox epidemics Boston ever had. Doctors I<
s from Somerville society) braved the sudden cold to attend.
Miss Marion Hosmer, West Medford, read an interesting story of the old Woburn road and the Count Rumford house at North Woburn, which is preserved and owned by the Rumford Historical Society.
Her mention of the Jug Baptist church in Woburn elicited inquiry, and Mr. Mann, who is conversant with its history, told something of it and how it got the name.
A general discussion of April events to make note of occupied this evening.
The heavy rain of the day ceased at nightfall but for only two hours, and the closing meeting was but lightly attended, those present coming the longest distances.
Rev. Anson Titus of West Somerville spoke on Jim Franklin, Ben's Big Brother, making special reference to Samuel Hall of Medford, spiritual heir of James Franklin who married into the family and printed the Essex Gazette in Revolutionary days.
Mr. Titus' instructive paper appeared in register, Vol.
XXVI, p. 42.