of the soldiers during the war, nobly fulfilled the promise made by them at the beginning.
Incorporated April 18, 1735.
Population in 1860, 825; in 1865, 888.
Valuation in 1860, $317,290; in 1865, $306,002.
The selectmen in 1861 were Walter D. Nichols, John C. Crane, Benjamin Luther; in 1862 and 1863, Simeon Briggs, Walter D. Nichols, William Babbitt; in 1863 and 1865, Walter D. Nichols, William Babbitt, Thomas C. Dean.
The town-clerk in 1861, 1862, and 1863, was Ephraim French; in 1864 and 1865, Daniel S. Briggs.
The town-treasurer during all these years was Abiel B. Crane.
1861. The first legal town-meeting, to act upon matters relating to the war, was held on the 30th of April; at which it was decided to sustain at all hazards the institutions of this nation; and, as an evidence of this determination, it was voted to make up the pay of all volunteers in the military service from that town, and to all who might afterwards enlist in the same, to a sum suff