had in its heading a cut of a ship on the stocks, illustrative of an old industry of Medford, and was an eight-page paper, fifteen by twenty-one inches in size.
During the transition period of the Mercury-Citizen, or about that time, the Mercury assumed the same size and form, a decided improvement over the old.
In 1905, the business management of the Mercury became that of the Medford Publishing Company, Capt. Henry W. Pitman (who succeeded Mr. Stetson)continuing as editor, with Mrs. Frances French as assistant.
In 1905 Medford celebrated the two hundred and seventy-fifth anniversary of its settlement; and the Mercury made especial note of it in its columns; and also anticipated it by publishing a souvenir volume of one-hundred and seventy pages, entitled Medford, Past and Present.
In that is an article on the Newspapers of Medford, by Mortimer E. Wilber, to which we are indebted for some of our facts.
It is highly interesting, containing but few errors, and those slight.