Your search returned 260 results in 62 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: The Opening Battles. Volume 1., Holding Kentucky for the Union. (search)
out transportation, and he had none for them. While he was struggling to get ready for an advance, Zollicoffer had made several demonstrations, and to oppose him Garrard's regiment had been thrown forward to a strong position on wild Cat Mountain just beyond Rockcastle River, supported by a detachment of Wolford's cavalry. On the 17th of October, Garrard reported that Zollicoffer was advancing in force, and asked for reinforcements. Thomas hurried forward several regiments under General Schoepf, who had reported to him shortly before. Schoepf arrived with the 33d Indiana, in time to help in giving Zollicoffer, who had attacked vigorously with two regiments, a decisive repulse. Zollicoffer retired, apparently satisfied with developing Garrard's force, and Thomas moved Schoepf with Carter's East Tennesseeans and several other regiments forward in pursuit, till stopped by order of General Sherman, at London. on the 12th of November, Sherman, having received information from his
Ulysses S. Grant, Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant, Sherman's campaign in Georgia-siege of Atlanta --death of General McPherson-attempt to capture Andersonville-capture of Atlanta (search)
his depleted command, remarks: The disparity of forces can be seen from the fact that in the charge made by my two brigades under Fuller and Mersy they took 351 prisoners, representing forty-nine different regiments, eight brigades and three divisions; and brought back eight battle flags from the enemy. It was during this battle that McPherson, while passing from one column to another, was instantly killed. In his death the army lost one of its ablest, purest and best generals. [Kenner] Garrard had been sent out with his cavalry to get upon the railroad east of Atlanta and to cut it in the direction of Augusta. He was successful in this, and returned about the time of the battle. [Lovell H.] Rousseau had also come up from Tennessee with a small division of cavalry, having crossed the Tennessee River about Decatur and made a raid into Alabama. Finally, when hard pressed, he had come in, striking the railroad in rear of Sherman, and reported to him about this time. The battle
of Portland, Me., (Pettingill, master,) from Neuvitas, Cuba, for New York, with a cargo of sugar, molasses, mahogany, and honey. We also hear it whispered that there has been an important (and not involuntary) accession to our stock of sugar, molasses, coffee, &c. General Zollicoffer, with six thousand infantry, sixteen hundred horse, and one battery of artillery, was repulsed by the Union forces under General Schoepf at Camp Wild Cat, Laurel County, Ky. For some days previous, the position had been held only by Colonel Garrard's Kentucky regiment; but when it was known that Zollicoffer would attack it, the Thirty-third Indiana and Seventeenth Ohio regiments, and Captain Stannard's Ohio battery, were hurried forward, and participated in the fight. Two separate, resolute, and unsuccessful attempts were made by the rebels to carry a hill occupied by the Federal force, when they withdrew. Their loss was unknown. National loss was four killed, and twenty-one wounded.--(Doc. 102.)
November 1. An expedition, consisting of the U. S. steamer Northerner and gunboat States of the North, with a detachment of the Third New York cavalry, and two pieces of Allis's artillery, under the command of Major Garrard, proceeded, on the twenty-ninth ultimo, up the Pungo Creek, N. C., where they captured two rebel schooners. Proceeding to Montgomery, the troops disembarked. Major Garrard then marched his force to Germantown, Swanquarter, and Middletown, capturing in these places oMajor Garrard then marched his force to Germantown, Swanquarter, and Middletown, capturing in these places one hundred and thirty horses and mules, and twenty-five prisoners, among whom were a rebel lieutenant-colonel, a major, a captain, and a lieutenant. To-day, on returning from Middletown, they were met by a squad of rebel cavalry, on whom they opened one of their field-pieces, when they fled at the first fire. The force then returned to Montgomery, and embarked on the steamer without further molestation.--Philadelphia Ledger. At New Orleans, La., General Butler issued the following orders
petre-works, arsenal, and store-houses, with about five hundred shot-guns and rifles.--General Curtis's Despatch. A rumor was prevalent in Washington, that a proposition for an armistice of thirty days was made by the rebel government, and that General Robert E. Lee was in that place negotiating the terms.--The Forty-seventh regiment of Massachusetts troops, under the command of Colonel Marsh, left Boston for the seat of war.--A expedition to Hyde County, N. C., under the command of Major Garrard of the Third New York cavalry, returned to Newbern, having thoroughly destroyed all the bridges in that vicinity, besides capturing Colonel Carter, of the Thirteenth North-Carolina volunteers, and a rebel sergeant belonging to the Fourth North-Carolina confederate troops.--George P. Kane, late Marshal of Baltimore, Md., issued an address to his fellow-citizens of the State of Maryland, setting forth a statement relative to his incarceration at Fort Warren, Mass.--The schooner Levi Rowe,
is achieved a victory over the enemy's cavalry near Fair Gardens, about ten miles east of Sevierville, Tenn. General McCook's division drove the enemy back about two miles, after a stubborn fight, lasting from daylight to four P. M., at which time the division charged with the sabre and a yell, and routed the enemy from the field, capturing two steel rifled guns and over one hundred prisoners. The enemy's loss was considerable, sixty-five of them being killed or wounded in the charge. Generals Garrard and Wolford's divisions came up, after a forced march, in time to be pushed in pursuit, although their horses were jaded.--Gen. Rawlins's Report. General Palmer, with General Davis's division, moved toward Tunnel Hill, Georgia, on a reconnaissance. The Twenty-eighth Kentucky and the Fourth Michigan drove in the rebel advance pickets and captured a company of rebel cavalry. The rebels retreated from Tunnel Hill during the night. They lost thirty-two killed and wounded. The Union
from hostile Indians, and recommending them to communicate with General Sully before attempting to pass that way.--A Commission consisting of Captain George P. Edgar, A. D. C., Captain George I, Carney, A. Q. M., and M. Dudley Bean, of Norfolk, were appointed by Major-General Butler, for the purpose of caring for and supplying the needs of the poor white people in Norfolk, Elizabeth City, and Princess Anne counties, Va., who were a charge upon the United States, and employing such as were willing to work and were without employment, etc.--skirmishing occurred at Cheek's Cross-Roads, Tennessee, between Colonel Garrard's National cavalry and Colonel Giltner's rebel troops. The rebels were repulsed. President Lincoln issued an order calling for two hundred thousand men, in order to supply the force required to be drafted for the navy, and to provide an adequate reserve force for all contingencies, in addition to the five hundred thousand men called for February first.--(Doc. 111.)
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 2., Chapter 3: military operations in Missouri and Kentucky. (search)
he Unionists of Eastern Kentucky, and they flew to arms. A large number of them were mustering and organizing under Colonel Garrard, a plain, earnest, and loyal Kentuckian, at a point among the Rock Castle Hills known as Camp Wild Cat. It was in ad on the 18th of October, with seven regiments and a light battery. When intelligence of his approach was received, Colonel Garrard had only about six hundred effective men to oppose him. Others in sufficient numbers to insure a successful resistan an eagle on its prey. Yet when he came, on the morning of the 21st, October, 1861. he found at Camp Wild Cat, besides Garrard's three regiments, a part of Colonel Coburn's Thirty-third Indiana, and Colonel Connell's Seventeenth Ohio regiments, anseen that evening in a sweet little valley two or three miles away from the battle-ground. Promptly and efficiently had Garrard's call for help been responded to, for toward the close of the second attack a portion of Colonel Steadman's Fourteenth
the 20th instant I was informed by a messenger from Claiborne County, East Tennessee that four rebel regiments, with six pieces of artillery, under command of General Smith (who had arrived on the preceding day), left Cumberland Gap on the 19th instant to attack the Second East Tennessee Regiment, which was then stationed at Woodson's Gap, some 3 miles from Fincastle, Campbell County, East Tennessee. Orders were given to the First East Tennessee Regiment, Colonel Byrd-Seventh Kentucky, Colonel Garrard-Sixteenth Ohio, Colonel De Courcy; Forty-ninth Indiana, Colonel Say, and to Lieutenant-Colonel Munday, First Battalion of Kentucky Cavalry, to prepare four days rations and be ready to move on the following morning. Captain Wetmore's Ninth Ohio Battery was also ordered to have one section (two Parrott guns) in readiness to accompany the command. The whole force amounted to some 2,300 men. Proper guards were left at this place and in the several camps. On the morning of the 21st w
p. For the moment the execution of my plan was postponed, but not abandoned. I now determined to withdraw my entire force from Cumberland Ford, and to cause the sides of the Pine Mountain to be mined, so that a hundred thousand tons of rocks and trees could be hurled into the valley should the enemy attempt to strike at our line of supplies. The mines were constructed by Capt. S. S. Lyon, but they were never sprung. On the 6th instant the march was again resumed, Munday's cavalry and Garrard's Third Kentucky Infantry constituting the advance guard, followed by the siege guns, Foster's battery, and De Courcy3s brigade; next the brigade of Baird, with Wetmore's battery. Carter's brigade and Lanphere's battery brought up the rear. Heavy fatigue parties were constantly employed in front in making and repairing roads, which were again blockaded by Captain Lyon after the rear guard had passed. It was amusing to witness the astonishment of the people at the passage of enormous cann
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...