hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Jubal Anderson Early, Ruth Hairston Early, Lieutenant General Jubal A. Early , C. S. A. 2 0 Browse Search
Waitt, Ernest Linden, History of the Nineteenth regiment, Massachusetts volunteer infantry , 1861-1865 2 0 Browse Search
The Daily Dispatch: December 15, 1860., [Electronic resource] 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 6 results in 3 document sections:

Jubal Anderson Early, Ruth Hairston Early, Lieutenant General Jubal A. Early , C. S. A., Autobiographical sketch. (search)
time in the month of June, the whole regiment, under the command of the Colonel, moved to Buena Vista, a few miles from Saltillo, and joined the forces of General Wool, at that point. It remained near that locality for the balance of the war, for the most part inactive, as all fighting on that line, except an occasional affair with guerillas, ceased after the battle of Buena Vista. I had, therefore, no opportunity of seeing active service. For a short time I was attached, as acting Inspector General, to the staff of Brigadier General Caleb Cushing, who commanded the brigade to which my regiment was attached, until he was ordered to the other line. During this period I contracted, in the early part of the fall of 1847, a cold and fever, which eventuated in chronic rheumatism, with which I have ever since been afflicted. My condition became such that I received a leave of absence in the month of November, and returned to the States, on a visit to my friends in the Kanawha Valley.
ttle. At 3. P. M. heavy fighting began on the right; the Division at once advanced at double-quick for three miles, to support the overmatched First Division. Upon arriving at the field of battle they formed line on the right and on the rear of the First Division, covering their flank. At nightfall the Division changed front forward on left battalion and threw up works. In this action Capt. Isaac H. Boyd, who had been commissioned, but not mustered as Major, and was acting Asst. Inspector General of the First Brigade, First Division, Second Corps, was mortally wounded. Saturday, the 8th, was consumed in advancing alternately in line of battle and by the flank until 12:30 that night, skirmishing vigorously at times all day. On April 9th the regiment marched at 8 A. M. and pursued the enemy to within two miles of Clover Hill, or Appomattox Court House. In a few hours it was announced to the troops that General Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia had surrendered to Genera
longer an easy matter for an outsider, and the visitor who hopes to get in must make up his mind to approach with all the caution, ceremony and circumlocution with which the Allies are advancing upon the capital of the Celestial Empire. A few days ago, Col. Gardner, who for years had held the post of Commandant, was relieved in the command by Major Robt. Anderson, of Kentucky, Maj Anderson received his first commission as Brevet 2d Lieutenant 2d Artillery, July 1, 1825; was acting Inspector General in the Black Hawk war, and received the rank of Brevet Captain, August, 1838, for his successful conduct in the Florida war.On September 8, 1847, he was made Brevet Major, for his gallant and meritorious conduct in the battle of Molino del Rey. The other officers are: Captain Abner Doubleday, Capt. T. Seymour, Lieut. T. Talbot, Lieut. J. C. Davis, Lieut. N. J. Hall--all of the First Regiment Artillery. Capt. J. G. Foster and Lieut. G. W. Snyder, of the Engineer corps.--Assistant Surgeo