Your search returned 31 results in 18 document sections:

1 2
hen given by the United States Government that supplies would be sent to Major Anderson, peaceably if possible, otherwise by force. Lieutenant Talbot, attached to the garrison of Fort Sumter, and who accompanied the bearer of this despatch, was not permitted to proceed to his post. Orders were isssued to the entire military force of Charleston, held in reserve, to proceed to their stations without delay. Four regiments of a thousand men each were telegraphed for from the country. Dr. Gibbs, surgeon-general, was ordered to prepare ambulances, and make every provision for the wounded. At midnight Charleston was thrown into great excitement by the discharge of seven guns from Citadel square, the signal for all the reserves to assemble ten minutes afterwards. Hundreds of men left their beds, hurrying to and fro towards their respective destinations. In the absence of sufficient armories, at the corners of the streets, public squares, and other convenient points, meeting
River, were burned by order of Johnston, the rebel general. Neither of them were railroad bridges.--N. Y. Herald, June 10. The sanitary commission was authorized by the Secretary of War, and approved by the President. Its aim is to help, by cautious suggestion, in the laborious and extraordinary exigencies of military affairs, when the health of the soldiers is a matter of the most critical importance. The commission consists of the Rev. Dr. Bellows, Prof. A. D. Bache, Ll. D., Prof. Wolcott Gibbs, M. D., Prof. Jeffries Wyman, M. D., W. H. Van Buren, M. D., Dr. S. G. Howe, Dr. Wood, U. S. A., Col. Cullum, U. S. A., and Major Shiras, U. S. A.--N. Y. Commercial, June 10. Some disunion troops from Leesburg, Va., burnt four bridges on the Alexandria, Loudon, and Hampshire Railroad, at Tuscarora, Lycoline, Goose Creek, and Beaver Dams, being the balance of the bridges from Leesburg to Broad Run.--N. Y. World, June 15. The ceremony of the presentation of a Confederate flag,
falling down drunk. At two in the morning Texan troops were seen advancing on the Los Crusas road. Our adjutant, on being informed of it, made no preparations to resist an attack, but said:--They have nothing to fear from us. Of the seven companies, so many had been left drunk and captured that no more than two companies went into camp. The officers left the men, and held a long council of war. The men of the rifle command decided among themselves to fight. Just as they were ready Captain Gibbs came up, ordered a retreat upon camp, saying:--We will fight them there. As soon as they reached there, they were formed into line, and told to dismount for the last time. You are turned over as prisoners of war, was all they heard. All the arms and supplies were given up, the oath was administered, and next day the men were released on parole. The schooner Fairfax, of Georgetown, D. C., bound up the Potomac with 1,100 bales of hay and 500 barrels cement, was captured by the rebe
December 28. The trestle-work at Muldraugh's Hill, Ky., guarded by the Seventy-first Indiana regiment, was captured, after a fight of ten hours, by a superior force of rebels, under John II. Morgan, and destroyed.--New Madrid, Mo.. was evacuated by the National forces, after destroying the barracks and magazine.--Louisville Journal. A skirmish occurred to-day in the vicinity of Suffolk, Va., between a reconnoitring force of Union troops, under the command of Acting Brigadier-General Gibbs, and a force of rebel cavalry, in which the latter were routed and driven for six or eight miles. The Nationals captured a number of horses and fire-arms, the latter of which the rebels threw away in their flight.--Baltimore American. Van Buren, Ark., was entered and captured by a force of Union troops, under the command of General J. G. Blunt, together with the rebel garrison, a large amount of ammunition, four steamboats laden with army supplies, and a ferry-boat.--(Doc. 90.) M
ine battery.--riots occurred at Troy, N. Y., and Boston, Mass., both of which were suppressed without much trouble.--(Doc. 128.) General Thomas's corps of the army of the Cumberland, following in the rear of General Bragg's retreating forces, reached Elk River, and encountered a portion of General Buckner's division of infantry and artillery together with a part of Wheeler's cavalry, whom they dispersed after a short skirmish.--the rebels under General Morgan reached Miamiville, on the Little Miami road, this morning, tore up the track and committed other outrages.--(Doc. 47.) Joe Hart, the rebel guerrilla, was killed near Chillicothe, Mo., by a detachment of militia under Lieutenant Gibbs, of the Fourth Provisional regiment.--the cavalry belonging to General Meade's army occupied Falling Waters, having overtaken and captured a brigade of infantry one thousand five hundred strong, two guns, two caissons, two battle-flags, and a large number of small-arms.--(Docs. 97 and 104.)
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 3., Chapter 1: operations in Virginia.--battle of Chancellorsville.--siege of Suffolk. (search)
intrusted the river line below Onondaga battery (see map on page 42), the key of the position, extending about eight miles in length. During the siege General Getty stormed and carried, with the Eighth Connecticut and Eighty-ninth New York, aided by Lieutenant Lamson and the gun-boats, a Confederate battery on the west branch of the Nansemond. He captured 6 guns and 200 prisoners. General Peck mentioned with commendation Generals Corcoran, Terry, Dodge, and Harland, and Colonels Dutton and Gibbs, commanding front lines; Colonels Gurney and Waddrop, commanding reserves; Colonels Spear and Onderdonk, of the cavalry. and Captain Follet. chief of artillery. The forts were in charge of the following officers: Fort Union, Colonel Drake; Nansernond, Colonel Hawkins; Halleck, Colonel Sullivan; Draw-bridge Battery, Colonel Davis; Battery Mansfield, Colonel Worth; the Redan and Battery Sosecrans, Colonel Thorpe; Battery Massachusetts, Captain Johnspn; Battery Montgomery, Colonel England; Ba
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 3., Chapter 2: Lee's invasion of Maryland and Pennsylvania. (search)
he tombstones, and such monuments as could possibly be moved, to be laid flat on the ground, to prevent their being injured by shot and shell. On the left of the Cemetery, near Zeigler's Grove, were Hancock's batteries, under Woodruff, Brown, Cushing, Arnold, and Rorty, commanded by Captain Hazzard. Next to these, on the left, was Thomas's battery, with those of Thompson, Phillips, Hart, Rauth, Dow, Ames, and Sterling, under McGilvray, in reserve. On the extreme left were the batteries of Gibbs and Hazlett, the latter now commanded by Lieutenant Rittenhouse. at midday there was an ominous silence, during which General Lee entered Pennsylvania College building, which he was using for a hospital, ascended to the cupola, and, in violation of the acknowledged principles of honor in military life, stood under the sacred yellow flag which all civilized warriors respect as a protection to the sick and wounded, and where he was sure of safety from personal harm, and with his field-glas
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 3., Chapter 20: Peace conference at Hampton Roads.--the campaign against Richmond. (search)
and hurled back in confusion toward Dinwiddie Court-House. By a vigorous pursuit, with cavalry and infantry, but with much difficulty, the Confederates interposed between the troops of Devin and Davies and Sheridan's main body, at Dinwiddie Court-House. This compelled Devin to make a long, circuitous March, by the Boydton road, to rejoin his chief. The movement was mistaken by the Confederates for a forced retreat, and they attempted pursuit, when Sheridan, with the brigades of Gregg and Gibbs, charged upon their flank, and compelled them to give up the chase. Devin soon rejoined the main body, upon which the Confederates fell with vigor, expecting to drive them. They were foiled by Sheridan, who dismounted his men and placed them behind light breastworks, from which they gave their antagonists such a deadly musket fire that the latter recoiled. Before the Confederates could rally for another attack, darkness came and fighting ceased. before midnight, Sheridan was satisfied
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 3., Chapter 22: prisoners.-benevolent operations during the War.--readjustment of National affairs.--conclusion. (search)
n the battle-field. Such was the origin of the United States Sanitary Commission. Frederick Law Olmsted was chosen to be the Resident Secretary, which was a post of the highest importance, for that officer was really the General Manager of the affairs of the Commission. Its first officers were Rev. Henry W. Bellows, D. D., President; Professor A. D. Bache, Ll.D., Vice-President; Elisha Harris, M. D. Corresponding Secretary; George W. Cullum, Alexander E. Shiras, Robert C. Wood M. D., Wolcott Gibbs, Cornelius R. Agnew, M. D., George T. Strong, Frederick Law Olmsted, Samuel G. Howe, M. D., and J. S. Newberry , M. D., Comsissioners. To these were subsequently added , Horace Binney, Jr., Right Rev. Thomas M. Clark, D. D., Hon. Joseph Holt, R. W. Burnett, Hon. Mark Skinner, Rev. John H. Heywood, Professor Fairman Rogers, Charles J. Stile, and J. Huntington Wolcott. There were about five hundred associate members, in all parts of the country. It is due to Mr. Olmsted, to say, that to
sons in the employ of Government, respect and further the inquiries and objects of the commission to the utmost of their ability. Mr. Frederick Law Oimsted, of New York, consents to serve as its resident secretary and general agent at Washington. Donations and subscriptions in aid of its object are earnestly solicited. They should be addressed to its treasurer, George T. Strong, 68 Wall Street, New York. Office of Sanitary Commission, Treasury Building, June 21, 1861. Henry W. Bellows, President, New York. Prof. A. D. Bache, Vice-Pres., Washington. Elisha Harris, M. D. Cor. Secretary, N. Y. Geo. W. Cullum, U. S. A., Washington. Alexander E. Shiras, U. S. A., Washington. Robt. C. Wood, M. D., U. S. A., Washington. Wm. H. Van Buren, M. D., New York. Wolcott Gibbs, M. D., New York. Samuel G. Howe, M. D., Boston. Cornelius R. Agnew, M. D., New York. J. S. Newberry, M. D., Cleveland. Geo. T. Strong, New York. Frederick law Olmsted, New York.
1 2