Incorporated May 22, 1639.
Population in 1860, 10,904; in 1865, 11,938.
Valuation in 1860, $4,171,942; in 1865, $4,505,390.
The selectmen in 1861 were John S. Webber, David Allen, Jr., Edward C. Hoyt; in 1862, Charles C. Pettingell, Addison Gilbert, Edward C. Hoyt; in 1863, Gorham P. Low, Charles C. Pettingell, Edward C. Hoyt; in 1864, William A. Pew, Edward C. Hoyt, Gorham P. Low; in 1865, Addison Gilbert, Edward C. Hoyt, William P. Dolliver.
The town-clerk during all these years wAddison Gilbert, Edward C. Hoyt, William P. Dolliver.
The town-clerk during all these years was Henry Center, and the town-treasurer for the same period was T. Sewall Lancaster.
1861. The first legal town-meeting, to consider matters connected with the war, was held on the 24th of April.
The following resolutions were presented to the meeting by J. P. Trask, Esq., and unanimously adopted:—
Resolved, By the inhabitants of the town of Gloucester, in legal town-meeting assembled, that while we are utterly and unalterably opposed to oppression in all forms and circumstances, and e