Your search returned 2 results in 1 document
iers' families, and which was repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $3,459.98; in 1862, $9,036.79; in 1863, $8,858.48; in 1864, $9,500.00; in 1865, $6,000.00. Total amount, $36,855.25.
Incorporated Dec. 17, 1725.
Population in 1860, 3,206; in 1865, $3,299. Valuation in 1860, $1,207,701; in 1865, $1,333,637.
The selectmen in 1861 were Jesse Carter, Franklin Harriman, A. R. Green; in 1862, B. F. Richardson, Jesse Carter, H. H. French; in 1863, John Hill, Onslow Gilmore,——; in 1864, John Hill, L. F. Lynde, M. L. Morse, E. T. Whittier; in 1865, John Hill, M. L. Morse, L. F. Lynde, Reuben Richardson, E. T. Whittier, A. R. Green.
The town-clerk through all these years was Silas Dean.
The town-treasurer from 1859 to 1871 was Sumner Richardson, 2d.
1861. The first legal town-meeting to act upon matters connected with the war was held on the 2d of May, at which it was voted to allow the new military company the use of the town hall, free of any charge,