Incorporated Nov. 17, 1770.
Population in 1860, 1,188; in 1865, 1,155.
Valuation in 1860, $593,595; in 1865, $604,200.
The selectmen in 1861 were Carmi Shurtleff, Abram Rising, Luther Fowler; in 1862, A. J. Marvin, A. F. Webb, A. P. Easton; in 1863 and 1864, A. P. Easton, A. J. Marvin, A. F. Webb; in 1865, A. P. Easton, N. S. Noble, A. J. Forward.
The town-clerk during all the years of the war was C. J. Root.
The town-treasurer during the years 1861 and 1862 was Heaton Granger; in 1863, Herman Laflin; in 1864 and 1865, S. L. Granger.
1861. The first legal town-meeting, to consider questions relating to the war, was held November 26th, at which it was voted to raise three hundred dollars to pay State aid to the families of soldiers living in the town, as provided by the act of the Legislature.
1862. July 12th, Voted, to raise sixteen hundred dollars, to be expended under the direction of the selectmen for the same purpose; and five hundred dollars were d