ement was different, over the Fourth circuit, composed of Goochland, Henrico, Hanover, King and Queen, Essex, Caroline and Spotsylvania.
When he had to give up Essex, it came under the jurisdiction, for one year, of Judge Brown, and then of Judge Semple.
It had been in Judge Brown's district when he held his courts in Fredericksburg and Williamsburg.
In 1832, the circuit courts were increased to twenty, and Judge Brown was placed over the Fourth circuit, embracing Essex.
When Judge John Williams Green, of the Court of Appeals, died, his place had to be filled.
The election for his successor took place February 20, 1834. Mr. Booker, of Amelia, nominated Judge Brockenbrough; Mr. Botts, Robert Stanard, Esq.; and Mr. Watts, Judge Ro. B. Taylor.
On the second ballot, Taylor was dropped.
Then Judge Brockenbrough got seventy-two votes, and from both houses ninety-three to Stanard's sixty-four, and was promoted to the Supreme Court of Appeals.
The cases in which he sat are reported