d-States Sanitary Commission in January, 1862, all the articles (with the exception of one box to St. Louis) were forwarded to the Boston Branch in boxes, barrels, and bundles, as was most convenient for the express.
Incorporated April 28, 1780.
Population in 1860, 621; in 1865, 629.
Valuation in 1860, $328,461; in 1865, $354,122.
The selectmen in 1861 were George F. Duren, Joel Boynton, Selar Simons; in 1862, George F. Duren, Joel Boynton, Isaac Blaisdell; in 1863, John Q. A. Greene, L. Wilkins, James M. Currier; in 1864, George F. Duren, John Jacobs, Seba D. Bartlett; in 1865, George Duren, Seba D. Bartlett, Joel Boynton.
The town-clerk during all these years was George F. Duren.
The town-treasurer in 1861 and 1862 was Thomas Greene; in 1863, 1864, and 1865, William Greene.
1861. The first action taken by the town, in its corporate capacity, in matters relating to the war, was on the 11th of May, when it voted to pay each volunteer nine dollars a month in